Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Welsh Forms (Read 140 times)
alanmdouglas
Gold Star Member

Re: Welsh Forms
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Dear Friends,

I wrote this on MosaicMusings.net when I first fell over all these Welsh poetic forms. Forgive an irreverent addition to the procedings in Train .....

There is an infinity of multiplying and bewildering Welsh poetic forms. As a service to poets everywhere I have attempted to back-translate some of these names, and explain a little of the ritual and ancient history behind them.

Englyn Penfyr - this is the most easily understandable form, being close to English (Englyn), and the "Pen" is the symbol of all Welsh poets (also known as "bards"), whose inspiration, when hot, is positively on "fyr".

Gwawdodyn - the equivalent in Welsh of a sort of cross between Lear and Carroll, where the superficial "nonsense" words convey a much deeper inner meaning. A corruption of "Are you going (gwaw) to dodder (dodyn) today ?"

A form much expanded, and expounded upon, and in, by Welsh court jesters, and blatantly plagiarised by every "fool" in Shakespeare's works.

Clogyrnach - the most impenetrable Welsh form, a corruption of "clogged with starch", which is self-explanatory. Also the reason for Offa's d**e, which, contrary to popular belief, was built by the English, to keep the starch out !

Cywydd Llogyrnog - the story-telling, or epic, mode. Early Welsh bards needed to provide a decent night's (or knight's ! ) entertainment. The failure to do so would lead to critical critical appraisal.

If the bard ran out of steam (which had not yet been invented/discovered) or words, before the host and guests were all paralytic and under the table, the 1st "critical" of "critical critical appraisal" came into play, and the bard's performance contract was severed, along with his head.

There is a dispute on the exact meaning of the words, a corruption of "Could you lose the plot", or, "Could you lose the nog" (nog, or noggin = head).

Byr a Thoddaid - undoubtedly the most popular Welsh poetic form, in effect the opposite of the previous Cywydd Llosgyrnog, where approval from the knights and ladies led to plenty of "beer at thyroid", and general celebrations all round.

Thus the term "bard of bards" refers to the amount of beer (bard), consumed by the best bard (poet), amongst much jollity. There was however, one drawback.

In the morning, the bard of bards had the duty of concocting a poetic potion, known as a "hyrofadawg", whose words were supposed to have the magical property of restoring all the previous (k)night's celebrants to total sobriety.

Failure to achieve this, alas, led to further critical critical appraisal. Hence the expression "Tales I lose, heads you win", which survives to this day in a garbled form.

The observant reader will by now have gathered that being a poet in ancient Wales was not a good experience for many. Hence the expression "He's a bard lot".

Written, with absolutely no apologies to anyone except the Welsh, 

by Alan McAlpine Douglas

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 4:22pm by Just_Daniel »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Salem,

I wanted to bring this up to the top since I posted some of the Welsh/Irish forms into this forum.

Here are some that are now posted here:

Ae Freslighe
Byr a Thoddaid
Clogyrnach
Cyhydedd hir
Cyrch a cywta
Rannaicheacht Ghairid

Find 'em, read 'em, write'em.

Norm
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 4:21pm by Just_Daniel »  

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

No Welching to Abet
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 9:35am
Print Post  
No Welching to Abet

No hedges here to bet upon
for aye, I’m but a simple pawn.
My eyes but wander all about thy board;
with sword laid down, I quit!

© Daniel J Ricketts 31 Oct 2003

IP Logged

silkenlightning
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Goddess of Burning Socks

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
heehee... I can pronounce! It makes me happy.

But... for an attempt, that is wonderful...

I love writing in these random forms. Probably you haven't heard of it because most of the poetry written in it isn't in English... and if you can't pronounce the name you can't read welsh poetry...

Salem

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

What’s cywydd llosgyrnog?
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 8:41am
Print Post  
What’s cywydd llosgyrnog?

Can you pronounce this tongue-twist form?
Mouth full of grapes a Welshman’s norm?
How’ll I conform to this gait?
I’d never heard the name before,
so do they write it any more?
Could I adore it or hate?

© Daniel J Ricketts 26 Oct 2003

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you for this valuable link.  I wish that I had the time at present to pursue this.  Please forgive my present unavailability accept to drop in occasionally.  It may extend till after my right knee replacement in early December and on past early rehabilitation through that month.

I'll lookforward to any attempts you make at this kind of poetry!

appreciating your Light, Daniel  8)

IP Logged

alien

Still so much to learn...

Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2003 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Thank you, thank you, thank you - my search is over Grin

I've been looking for some good links to Welsh poetry for a while (I have so many gaps in my notes on various poetry forms).

Take care.

alien

IP Logged

silkenlightning
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Goddess of Burning Socks

Welsh Forms
Oct 10th, 2003 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Welsh Forms

Ed.  Unfortunately, the first link that Salem provided here no longer exists, but here is the second that she offered us:

A helpful link that has other forms including Irish forms on a subpage--

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:29am by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint