Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also (Read 476 times)
Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Re: Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also
Reply #34 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Bumped up for re-read -- interesting critique thread

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also
Reply #33 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Bumped up for re-read -- an interesting critique thread from the past

IP Logged

josephfinkleman

Re: Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Chan
Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Well one could not complain about getting something going on this poem, wow, sorry I missed it while it was going on.  Just an aside on photography. Most of the lenses back then didn't have aperture adjustments, so this was a long exposure at a wide open equivalent, f/stops or the alternate t-stops were far in the future.  Nice poem I have often wondered what the dynamics were of painter and model back then, i have done a ton of life drawings but in our correct modern times it is very technical and quite mundane.  Joe

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Al
Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Tim,

Haven't forgotten your fine crit here -- will get to it very soon -- I am catching up.

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
James -- thanks

Hey Norm. 

His studio is where his love abides   
Through hidden visits, he makes love at will;   

Seems to me that the comma should go after abides.  yup -- you are correct

His naked model gazing where he hides   
Behind that curtain, viewing her so still.   

I have some trouble with this. If this is always meant to be read with the pic available no problem, but without the picture these two lines are odd just to read. If always with the picture, 'naked' need not be there. It is redundant. 'Behind the curtain' or some such thing. Behind that curtain sounds too common language. As does 'so'. 'Viewing her still'. I'll leave it to you to work on the meter. lol   Maybe a hyphen between 'her--still'.   I think it should be "the" not "that" and I do intend to always have the Delacroix pic with it (even when I submit it for publication)

Her take upon the pose he's placed her in,   
Reveals he is exposed as well...transfixed   
By ideal beauty cloaked beneath her skin.   
As model/artist sense their feelings mixed.   

'Her take' sounds too common language here as well. Too modern in this setting. It is as you say "too common" --I'd have to re-work the line -- but will attempt that

No comma after the 'in' in the first line. grey area -- I want the pause in the reading but grammatically no comma is needed -- have to ponder that -- I tend to go with YOUR deletion and leave it to the educated reader to properly intone what I am after

Line three we already know its a her, I'd use 'the skin' instead hmmm and it is more sensual as well  -- good suggestion (again)

. No need to keep referring directly to her is there? The reader knows. She's the only naked one. I think a colon or semi after 'skin' in line three, as line four is a continued thought, though separate from line 3. Yes? I'm no grammar expert not really, because the "as" makes that a subordinate clause and not a free-standing complete sentence. A semi-colon has to connect two complete sentences..   

He's touched...he longs to read her with his brush,   
Though spatial and the temporal forbid;   
The artist can do nothing more than hush   
The truth, which through his art he aptly hid.   

I have to agree with Michael about the sudden switch to painting and a paint brush Norm. Is he a photographer or a painter? Non sequitur. To me anyhow.   
Ahhh --- I knew when I penned this there would be conflict with interpretations --- I cannot disagree with you and Michael about the confusion. It all has to do with what is really layered beneath the model-artist real history. I will add to this thread sore of what I was after in this.  Yes, I need the duality to produce the real enigma of the scene before the reader as visual and in words. I'll try and flesh that out (no pun intended) when i write that. Your point is well taken.   

This reproduction, same as she was then   
Is sketched and etched into his life again. 

Comma after 'then'. correct 

I am a little at a loss how the photographer is able to view this when she has long since died and he has too. When I read this the first time that is what came to mind. And don't lose all the esoteric. There is a balance in there somewhere. I've started decrypting The Waste Land recently, you want to talk esoteric!! That poem defines the word in the definitive.  see my explanation when I post it.

I'm a little rushed but I said I'd stop by and make some comments, hope they are coherent.   
VERY coherent and ever-so helpful -- and presented in typical Jamesian mode of wanting to make my work better..Thanks again

Norm

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Hello Norm. This poem's play is much clearer for me. I am starting to see the construction of duality you were working with in the previous version, but I don't have a full grasp on the poem. 

For me, it feels like the N is intertwined in the love of creation and the love of the model's beauty. There is also a feeling that he is looking at a picture/photograph of her that has already been created (perhaps by his doing to add more layers to the creation/love theme). This is so layered that certainity is traded for the amount of possbilities incorporated into this overall theme. 

This, for me, puts the poem on somewhat even footing (compared to the style I'd prefer) by shifting it closer to mood-like or surreal. 

Not much in the way of concerns or nits:

His studi/o is where his love abides ---I scan this line a bit off with the "oh" unstressed (instead of the anticipated stress). I keep thinking that you could substitue "is where" for a two hard stressed words to turn that part of the line into a double iamb. 

Her take upon the pose he's placed her in,  ---"upon" feels awkward in usage, as if to fulfill the metre. How about another double iamb?: 
Her take on this set pose he's placed her in.
'Set pose' to 'expose' in the next line...

Is sketched and etched into his life again

I wonder if the second elipsis should be a colon, instead?

Hope this helps,
~Tim/azurepoetry
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007 at 7:42pm by Tim »  

IP Logged

EzraWrites

These pretzels are making
me thirsty

Reply #28 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Hey Norm.

His studio is where his love abides 

Seems to me that the comma should go after abides. 

I have some trouble with this. If this is always meant to be read with the pic available no problem, but without the picture these two lines are odd just to read. If always with the picture, 'naked' need not be there. It is redundant. 'Behind the curtain' or some such thing. Behind that curtain sounds too common language. As does 'so'. 'Viewing her still'. I'll leave it to you to work on the meter. lol   Maybe a hyphen between 'her--still'. 

Her take upon the pose he's placed her in,   

'Her take' sounds too common language here as well. Too modern in this setting. No comma after the 'in' in the first line. Line three we already know its a her, I'd use 'the skin' instead. No need to keep referring directly to her is there? The reader knows. She's the only naked one. I think a colon or semi after 'skin' in line three, as line four is a continued thought, though seperate from line 3. Yes? I'm no grammar expert.   

I have to agree with Michael about the sudden switch to painting and a paint brush Norm. Is he a photographer or a painter? Non sequitor. To me anyhow.   

Comma after 'then'.  I am a little at a loss how the photographer is able to view this when she has long since died and he has too. When I read this the first time that is what came to mind. And don't lose all the esoteric. There is a balance in there somewhere. I've started decrypting The Waste Land recently, you want to talk esoteric!! That poem defines the word in the difinitive. 

I'm a little rushed but I said I'd stop by and make some comments, hope they are coherent.  8)

James

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #27 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Doug,

Thank you, kind sir --- I am one who wishes to grow from critique while retaining my objectives.

I agree this flows so much better and "lets the reader in on what is going on." >>> without all thos bumps, as well.

James should be proud -- he reall hates that esoteric cryptic nature of mine ~smile~

I always respect and appreciate your input.

There are five more sonnets coming in here (posting them first in CA each day. Stop back now and then

Norm

IP Logged

D. Allen Jenkins
Supreme Member

All I got was a rock

Reply #26 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Norm,

Now this is a much easier read. I don't have any issues with the first letters being capped. I think we have achieved a regular IP rhythm again. The patient is cured!

Doug

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18
Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
REVISED -- bumping this back up.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Draped Model  (With Audio)
Reply #24 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 5:25am
Print Post  
James,

I would be so glad to have you weigh in on this --- just please wait until Impost up a revision. Four noteworthy critters have already pointed out areas I need to "clean this up". Also, you have alwys been very helpful with your crityicisms of some of my work being too esoteric and leaving the reader with too much to deciper or guess about. Indications from my critics seem to think THAT argument also fits this piece.  But I "am in love with" the concept and want to "work it".  Please give me a day or two put my mind to re-visiting my vison for this.

Thanks,

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #23 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Thanks again Daniel -- I will be revising this one very soon and will consider your suggestions.

Norm

IP Logged

EzraWrites

These pretzels are making
me thirsty

Reply #22 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 4:03am
Print Post  

"I thought the internet was flat...." - Tim -

Great line Tim!

Since discussion came up about honoring the language, can we honor William Shakespeare. His name isn't 'Willy'. We claim to be writers, how about honoring  a person who is mostly agreed on as the greatest writer the human race has ever produced. 

I'll come back and comment on your poem Norm. 

James

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

undraping my model...
Reply #21 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Greetings, all...

I had posted this as an afterthought to my saying that I couldn't crit because of being distracted by the alleged bloomers...

but since my comments were probably not seen at the time, since I had posted them after the original post by maybe a half hour, I've deleted them and repost them here, with maybe a little additional work...

so here I am focusing on the poem again:

Quote:
Draped Model (or Naked Truth)

In this museum his love does
Here draped the object of his eye resides;
Through secret visits he makes love at will[.] ( ; )
His naked model looks seeks where he does might hide
Behind that curtain viewing her so still.

It's he, the open book, (not she), stares in,
and torn, "To be exposed," he is transfixed;
With idealistic beauty 'neath her skin
Her intuition knows his feeling's mixed.

He's touched and longs to read her with his brush,
The truth, which through his art his pastels hid.

Inadequate though this critique may be,
my heretofore distracted eyes can see
a little better, even though they're dim;
perhaps they need a workout in a gym.

My reproduction is reduced to ink
and parchemet's crackling out the things I think.

pun-chew-waiting Lightly, Daniel  8)
P.S.
I do believe in sentences of death...
but capitally speaking, I shall save my breath.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:10am by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
TIM,

Well put. About your editorial... thanks for the kind remarks about what I am trying to accomplish with this site.  I still think of EVERY forum as classroom and I really do not care how "gloves-off" it might be, there is NO cause for a teacher to demean a pupil. And if the teacher doesn't know he/she is doing it, ten when someone suggests he/she HAS, the tone should change --- the "school" has its style and objectives and "hires" teachers that share the same. "Messy" and "torturous" were what Michael "felt" so he expressed it as he felt it. But "feeling" something is not license to insult, abuse or reprimand in a way that drives a wedge between teacher and pupil...and THIS particular pupil is NOT in kindergarten either. I truly want hard-hitting crit --- I want it delivered with dignity and kindness. This poem may absolutely "stink" -- but get to the points of the stench without tossing out shock words that hurt...the critter is supposed to have a command of the language so an effort should be made to purge his comments of words and phrases he/she surely knows are painful and NOT instructive.

Some of us have lived through far worse than this where a critter (another Michael from way back) would go in thread and tell a 21 year old to give up writing, they stink, they'll never write anything of worth. The guy was quite brilliant and had a lot to offer but he caused so much friction he had to be asked to leave. That's the WORST degree. This example is nothing like that... but before it can grow to that...before others may get emboldened to start "ripping" poems and people with "nasty" adjectives, I though it proper to wave the red flag early. This is in a public thread (first) so that others see what I think can be perceived as a potential problem.

Be Moderate -- Be Considerate --- I could have learned all Michael had to tell me about what he perceived as flaws in this poem without hearing "messy" and "torturous" this is all subjective and POV --- a little more of "this is my opinion" and "I could be wrong, but" or "perceive it differently" is a softer way of saying "this sucks---clean it up." (that was a paraphrase for what one may hear when reading "messy", etc).

Now--Tim --- GREAT POINT on the "studio" -- "museum" is surely the wrong word for the wrong venue. Thank you so much. The painter would certainly NOT be there in a museum behind the curtain.

Now let's move on to other poems and if someone wishes to discuss the points involving "tone of critique" then I.M. me and note in your IM if I can share it with others or you want it totally private. I think we have all made our "public" points. We are in a Cafe where we offer up food for thought -- I want NO FOOD FIGHTS -- I want civil dialogue.

I will say THIS one more time -- I think Michael can be a real asset here at PT. His knowledge and input is what we are always looking for -- especially in Firebox.

Norm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint