Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Haibun ~ FOM  Aug 09 (Read 73 times)
Just_Daniel
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

David's haibun...
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Good job! I like this, David.  

I think I'd be very tempted to call the operator a ding-a-ling, or at least allude to him by saying something like:  'I heard that ding-a-ling coming down the block.' Grin

I'm adding spaceing and removing the CAPS for you, just to remind you that format means something too:

Don't you just love it when the ice-cream man goes down your block ringing his bell?  It always brings out the kid in me when I hear his "ding-a-ling" and I come rushing out with a couple dollars for that ice-cream treat.  (I remember when it was less than a dollar, although not that much less, but that's a different story altogether).

gooey fudgsicles
dripping from the stick --
a big puddle.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:47pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

davidf
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Haibun ~ Form of the Month August 2009
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I'll try one,  Here goes:
Don't you just love it when the ice-cream man goes down your block ringing his bell?  It always brings out the kid in me when I hear his "ding-a-ling" and I come rushing out with a couple dollars for that ice-cream treat.  (I remember when it was less than a dollar, although not that much less, but that's a different story all together).
Gooey fudgsicles
Dripping from the stick --
A big puddle.
~Davidf
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:07pm by davidf »  

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Haibun ~ FOM  Aug 09
Aug 11th, 2009 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Haibun

Haibun is a combination of prose and haiku/senryu poems. It's focus is often on everyday experiences, but sometimes it focuses on a journey, and in the style of the originator of haibun, a Japanese monk named Basho who kept travel journals.
The following are some characteristics of haibun adapted from William J. Higginson, the Haiku Handbook March 1992, Kodansha International. ISBN 4-7770-1430-9.
1. Terse prose.
2. Contains one or more haiku/senryu. Usually concludes with a haiku, but it may also include several haiku between short prose passages.
3. Abbreviated in syntax; grammar, sometimes even verbs are omitted.
4. Juxtaposition of haiku and prose. The haiku is related, but not necessarily in a direct and obvious way. The haiku does not simply repeat aspects of or words and phrases used in the prose.
5. Imagistic. Relatively few abstractions or generalizations.
6. Objective. The writer is somewhat detached, maintains an aesthetic, even when describing himself.
7. Humorous. While seriousness and beauty concern the writer, a haibun often demonstrates a light touch.

My own poor examples: 

"Hi, Bun!"

Hmmmm No vase, but at least I found some flour. I’m gonna milk this time alone at home; it’s the yeast I can do. I can stand this at least for a while, can’t I? Perhaps I knead it! I’ve greased the sheets enough. Too hot to stay here long, but I think these globs can stand it in the oven. Ya think? I’m headin’ to the pool, takin’ that old advice, “If it’s too hot, get out of the kitchen!” . . . That was refreshing. Wonder how they're doin'. Peekin' in the oven now:

Hi, Bun! How are you?
I see you’ve swelled up somewhat.
Hope you’ll feel butter.

© Daniel J Ricketts 25 June 2003

The Twain be but One

Along life’s perilous path, I’ve met too many who’ve dreamt that when they discover a thing must be done, they tender two choices: 1. Do it, or 2. Don’t.  Indeed the choices be two… but rather: 1. Do it;  2. …Or you’re gonna.  …and the longer the wait, the more dry the drought between them; the more perilous the precipitation of clouded choice; the more horrendous the hurricane in its wake.  Mark… these words: To the Nike belong the spoils… so lace up thy mudders, and Just do it!

two choices there be
nay but one; wait, and you’ll see:
do, or you’re gonna

© Daniel J Ricketts 10 Dec 2004
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:05am by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint