Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Singin' at Last a New Song  (addition) (Read 113 times)
Daldoggy

North Carolina

Re: Singin' at Last a New Song  (addition)
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2008 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Well Daniel, 
I am impressed. Very well done!

Robert

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Just_Daniel wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:57pm:
Thanks, Diane...

My 'surrogate son' Gary (whom I hope to get to post here too; he has scores of lyrics he's never exposed but to a few, and many of them are profound) moves in to our 2nd floor apartment on the first of May, he'll be bringing his several guitars, and I may end up taking mine up to his apartment so that we can do some work together. sounds like fun's a brewing He's truly a guitarist; I barely strum, just to have an accompanist in a pinch, and that with very limited chord ability. (Which is even worse now, since I've not played a thing in probably 5 years... or more!) the rust will knock off in no time, i am sure I'm a singer, not a guitarist; intersting tid-bit of infohe's a guitarist, not a singer... but if you like to listen to Bob Dylan's voice, you'd love Gary.  Bob Dylan's music ~ yeah!  His singing, well, that's another story. LOL  But I DO love to listen to Gary sing, and I KNOW I'd love to hear Bob Dylan LIVE! i am not familiar in depth with Bob Dylan, though I do know who he is and have heard songs on the radio and such

I need to create TWO MORE verses for this song, but since today is the deadline in Tournament of Rails, I thought I'd at least post SOMETHING... and I note that you don't have anything there.  i will peek in and see, never been in there...i sometimes feel naughty going in rooms where i feel i shouldnt be!

Go take a look, use three of the six lines (I think I used four of them) in your piece and POST IT.  You still have till midnight, I believe.  Have at it.  It will be a good stretch for you. i can always use a good stretch

Next challenge, of course, is to join the circuit in Circadian Addiction and post SOMETHING every day, whether it's a poem, a stanza of a poem, or a piece of prose... or your thoughts from your journal for that day... It's the discipline of writing SOMETHING... and soon you'll see, from reading others' posts, it will stimulate your muse to write ripostes to others' posts or a spin-off from one of them.  It's very much a hot-bed for your muse.  I think you're ready! i surely appreciate the confidence and the invitation. i will look in more often as i havent been in there but maybe once or twice just to get comfortable and see what happens from there

deLighting in your sharing, Daniel  Cool

P.S.  Once you start sharing in CA (where of course you're welcome to read and comment, even if you're not posting your own; some have started that way), you'll undoubtedly create some that you'll want to post in a crit forum to develop and polish... and of course you certainly don't have to keep doing it month after month, like a few of us addicts! Cool
good to know

Thanks,

Diane

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Diane...

My 'surrogate son' Gary (whom I hope to get to post here too; he has scores of lyrics he's never exposed but to a few, and many of them are profound) moves in to our 2nd floor apartment on the first of May, he'll be bringing his several guitars, and I may end up taking mine up to his apartment so that we can do some work together.  He's truly a guitarist; I barely strum, just to have an accompanist in a pinch, and that with very limited chord ability. (Which is even worse now, since I've not played a thing in probably 5 years... or more!)  I'm a singer, not a guitarist; he's a guitarist, not a singer... but if you like to listen to Bob Dylan's voice, you'd love Gary.  Bob Dylan's music ~ yeah!  His singing, well, that's another story. LOL  But I DO love to listen to Gary sing, and I KNOW I'd love to hear Bob Dylan LIVE!

I need to create TWO MORE verses for this song, but since today is the deadline in Tournament of Rails, I thought I'd at least post SOMETHING... and I note that you don't have anything there.  

Go take a look, use three of the six lines (I think I used four of them) in your piece and POST IT.  You still have till midnight, I believe.  Have at it.  It will be a good stretch for you.

Next challenge, of course, is to join the circuit in Circadian Addiction and post SOMETHING every day, whether it's a poem, a stanza of a poem, or a piece of prose... or your thoughts from your journal for that day... It's the discipline of writing SOMETHING... and soon you'll see, from reading others' posts, it will stimulate your muse to write ripostes to others' posts or a spin-off from one of them.  It's very much a hot-bed for your muse.  I think you're ready!

deLighting in your sharing, Daniel  Cool

P.S.  Once you start sharing in CA (where of course you're welcome to read and comment, even if you're not posting your own; some have started that way), you'll undoubtedly create some that you'll want to post in a crit forum to develop and polish... and of course you certainly don't have to keep doing it month after month, like a few of us addicts! Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2008 at 2:01pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Daniel,

You are fortunate to have a musical ability. You have a very nice song here and I think you should pull out the guitar and get to work on those callouses. 

Diane
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:37pm by DianeEsk »  

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Diane... startin' ta tune up!
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I have a partial tune runnin' around in my head, but I ain't got my guitar out and tuned it to start developin' those callouses ya need ta start strummin' without it hurtin' the dainty fingers on my left hand.  It's been too long!

But I added a verse... at least as a teaser for myself.

deLightin' to guit started, Daniel  Cool

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Re: Totally UNFINISHED... but my first beginning in 3 decades!
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Daniel,

I guess I will never figure this stuff out, but I enjoy trying so that is good enough for me. Do you have a tune in mind or are ya' jus' wingin' it? 

Diane

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Diane...

and of course you're right about "let's us" as grammatically incorrect... but colloquially, it fits the style I want... a kind of Country/Folk ballad.

I do hear where you sense the similarity to the thrust of the verse as similar to "Killing me Softly"  Most of the verse would fit with mild alteration until the final three lines.  Here's a Midi so you can see where it fits and doesn't.

Thank you so much for your active interest.

deLighting in sharing, Daniel  Cool

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Daniel,

The words are nice. I have no musical training so it is hard for me to "see" a song, I actually need to "hear" it. 

One comment:
"let's us just be who we are" let's us

Diane

PS...while reading the chorus the song Killing Me Softly?? came to mind. I don't know the song well enough to know whether it works with this or not...would have to listen to it and refamiliarize myself with it. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2008 at 7:39pm by DianeEsk »  

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Singin' at Last a New Song  (addition)
Apr 8th, 2008 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Singin' at Last a New Song

Seasonal torments affect me
more than I've shared with my friends;
there's been a song inside longing to see
light... but it gropes and pretends
nothing is wrong, while some formless
scraps of whatever's been strewn
whisper in tones my own stillness can't guess
hushed in a troubled cocoon

[ Chorus ]
singin' at last a new song
strummin' on my ol' guitar
we've been a-restin' an' rustin' too long
let's us just be who we are.

Images, visions and feelings
stir up new words in my head
just out of reach 'til they pass through the ceiling
over my dream-spinning bed.
How'd I get weapons with Jerry?
What were those creatures we fought?
When did Phil Keagy arrive on the ferry?
It ain't his fingers I've sought.

[ Chorus ]
we've been a-restin' an' rustin' too long
let's us just be who we are.

Quote:
Here's what I have so far from my ponderings the other day in response to Norm's TOR Challenge.  It's the first reasonable attempt at song lyrics (except a couple additional verses for an existing song or hymn) that I've started in about 30 years!

Seasonal torments affect me
more than I've shared with my friends;
there's been a song inside longing to see
light... but it gropes and pretends
nothing is wrong, while some formless
scraps of whatever's been strewn
whisper in tones my own stillness can't guess
hushed in a troubled cocoon

.......stirs up new words in my head......  [ the end, so far ]

[ Chorus ]