Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Writing for fun or for work? (Read 34 times)
davidf
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Writing for fun or for work?
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I'm afraid Martin's right, it's very hard to make money out of poetry unless you're famous or pumping book after book after book...but for us "average Joe's" there's not much money in it.
~Davidf

IP Logged

Martin

CP Grand Pooh-Bah

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money either. 
- Robert Graves

While on the surface this seems humorous, it hides a deeper truth: money and poetry (or any writing, for that matter) each has its own reward. One does not substitute for the other.

Bottom line: Value has many dimensions.

-Martin

IP Logged

bvanstaa

Experience.  Words.  Meeting.

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 4:35am
Print Post  
I've never made any money from my writing... well, not in any significant amounts, anyhow.   

But boy oh boy, I do love seeing my words in print.

These days I write for enjoyment and inspiration in equal measure.  I lead a creative writing club for students at my school, and am motivated to write because I enjoy keeping myself sharp.  I also prefer to lead by example, and the students respond to the fact that I am "out there" and authentic.   

IP Logged

PrincessBlues

Hi there! I'm Marianna.

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I'm not sure if I can say much about this as I haven't written anything for money yet, but I will put in my two cents. I think that I sort of agree with everyone who replied to this. Money is good, but the best profit is that which isn't financial. Grades count for squat in the cosmic scheme of things. Scored essays are heinous. What counts the most varies from person to person, but I think that most artists are generally averted from caring about things like money and fame. You become an artist to express, not ingest.

AIM  
IP Logged

alien

Still so much to learn...

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I write for the fun of it, for the enjoyment I get from it.

It's hard work at times (especially to write poetry that can pass muster in today's contemporary workshop environments) but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't enjoying it.

I may be 40(ish)  *grin* and have been writing for 20+ years, but I still have much to learn.  I enjoyed learning while I was at school and I enjoy learning now - but when it stops being fun.....

Maybe, a few hundred years from now, archeologists will stumble upon a dusty tome of 21st century poetry with my name in it (but I'm not holding my breath -  *another grin*) - having something published and earning a few dollars from it would be nice, the icing on the cake, if you like, but it's not an all-consuming priority for me.

My main priorities right now are:
    my health
    my kids
    my heart (and she does wonders for that...

I guess writing would be next.

Take care.

alien

IP Logged

Shanti
Forum Administrator

Stimmung: albern
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I too write for myself and for profit and in more ways than just poetry and short stories.

The computer code I write that maintains this website is also a form of writing and --

profit does not necessarily have to mean money.

I profit from knowing that what I do and what I write helps others 

I also profit monetarily from the sale of my books and stories too. 

Still, I do not feel that writing for money makes us lose touch with ourself or our ability to write.

To produce a well-written piece takes work, a lot of hard work -- if it comes too easy to you -- then more than likely it needs a good dose of slice and dice revision.

I'm willing to work hard for my writing -- so yes, writing is a job but it is a job that I love and will do as long as my mind can string two words together.

Mary

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  

IP Logged

mooiza

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
It's both for me. it's the way I make my living - it's a place I retreat to, it's a place where I can revel in the fact that I am writing for me and me and alone. BUT it's also a way in which I make money! And that introduces an element of drudgery. I like to enter contests/submit work for appraisal, because I feel it's a way in which I acknowledge my own writing as opposed to the writing I do for other people. Sending it out into the big bad world is also away of letting it go, and allowing myself to say this is a piece of work that is finsished, and needs to see whether it can stand on its own two feet. Maybe it won't be strong enough to do that - maybe it will. Is that sending part of the "job" of being a writer? I think it is - and I think it's a way of saying to my writing that I take it seriously. 

This is an interesting question. I'd like to see how others respond.

Maire

IP Logged

Nuewana
Ex Member

Writing for fun or for work?
Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:37am
Print Post  
When people start writing, either poetry, short stories, or essays, it usually is for the love of writing. When does it become a job rather than for love? I have entered lots of contests, and am enrolled in a childrens book writing course. I've loved writing for over 16 years, and I still write for the love of creating my own world of imagination. I've noticed though, on the contest sites, that people who first entered, wrote with a true spirit of writing. As time went on, it seemed it was more for money, and they lost thier touch. Is writing a love or job for you?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint