Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What Makes “Free Verse” Poetry? (Read 108 times)
jgdittier
Gold Star Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: What Makes “Free Verse” Poetry?
Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 4:19pm
Print Post  

I have been almost totally limited to R&M and without the constraints that moderns have used to complicate the writing of R&M poetry. If one reads the poetry of the bards of yore, they celebrated language to the max and in giving their readers all the best they could, they allowed themselves some usages that now have been denied. Were Byron or Shelly or Wordsworth or Longfellow born today, none would IMO bother with poetry. They would find that the modern disdain for inversions, elisions, popular phrases (now called cliches)
would handicap their efforts to make poetry soar as it once did.
As an R&Mer, I must resort to what I call "light verse".
IMO it seems that "light verse' no longer exists as there is so little interest in verse that exists to transmit the smile or the happy thought. Suess, Nash, all who put entertainment in the verse picture are dismissed in a world where it seems free verse can't define itself but can deny free usages to its competition. That fault IMO lies with R&Mers who accept modern practices almost as dogma, never to question them, only to conform and bear the frustration of that conformity. 
I'll never know how accurate this suspicion is, but I believe there are many R&Mers out there who know 
the true merits of R&M (children do until taught otherwise) and on reading something that truly entertained them, critiqued by mentioning a nit consisting of an elision or a filler word and then proposed a change that destroyed the metre.
May all fvers write on and improve as is the intent of virtually all of the poetry sites.
May us few remaining R&Mers rebel against this "cross of prose" pressed down upon our brows by those teaching restricted R&M. The true heresy is in demeaning the bards of yore!

IP Logged

pandatronic

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:54am
Print Post  
There is a lot of terrible free verse out there, but also a lot of bad R&M. Bad R&M requires more effort and forethought than bad free verse does.

Bad free verse is just self-indulgence, but bad R&M can be a good poetic work-out, even if it sounds lousy.

Even people who consider themselves more suited to free verse should at least attempt R&M. I used to only write free verse, but now I'm trying to learn R&M (finding it difficult though). I like the challenge, and I think if I stick at it, I'll become a better poet.

Some of my sonnets and ballads are so bad that I might not want to show them to anyone, but I'm still glad I try to write them.

IP Logged

debskatz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
poppy,

now THAT was what i was trying to say.  you put it much better than i.

deb Grin

IP Logged

Poppy
Supreme Member

The Little Red Caboose

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 7:50am
Print Post  
I write free verse so I'll hop on this train of thought.

I appreciate everything you're saying, Martin.  Free verse should be more than prose with line breaks and there are many writers who don't bother to learn anything about the craft which makes some of the rest of us look bad.  However, I've read just as many rhyming poems that smack of laziness.  A rhyme may be more readily recognized as a poem from a technical standpoint, but I've read many R & M poems that do no more for me than some free verse.  IMO, poems laden with cliches and simple rhymes are just as lazy if the poet doesn't exhibit an attitude of wanting to improve and thinks their poem is fine just like it is.

I think we poets, free-versers and R & Mers alike, have a responsibility to ourselves to put forth our best effort in learning more about the craft and how our given style fits in.  Free versers can learn something from R & Mers, but the opposite is also true.  There are many poets who write (and flourish) in both styles which proves that both can lend themselves to the other.  

I write mainly free verse now because I am able to express myself more effectively in that style than in rhyme and meter.  I've tried (and I repeat tried) to write rhyme and meter poetry.  I do 'okay' with rhyme, but I cannot get the meter thing.  It feels unnatural to me (and I repeat to me).  A few have tried to help me write in IP and I never wrote so much as one line of correct meter.  When they'd try to show me the 'correct' meter, it sounded 'off' to me.  So I was basically told if IP (or whatever the chosen meter) sounded 'off' to me, then I was doing myself and the poem more harm than good.  If poetry doesn't sound natural to the poet writing it, then it most certainly won't sound natural to the reader.  That made sense to me so I've been writing mostly free verse ever since.  I will admit that some of my poems could be prose with line breaks, but I wouldn't be offended if you told me that because I am learning along with the rest of you.  I'm still experienting with free-verse and how my style fits in.  I am still studying poetic devices and reading poetry (classic and contemporary alike) to try and learn more about the craft.  I didn't master rhyme and meter, but I tried and by trying, I learned that it is not the form best suited to my style of writing.  I still try it now and then, but to no avail.  I guess the point is though, that I hope people don't think I am smacked with laziness.  If you think my poetry is prose with line breaks, that's fine, but know that I wasn't being lazy when I wrote it, I was simply trying my best to write a 'good' free verse poem and possibly failed.  I do not claim that my poetry is perfect, but I do exhibit (or try to) a willingness to learn why you or others think my poetry is not living up to its potential.  

So, in conclusion, I think that 'some' free-versers aren't the only lazy ones who don't put forth an effort to learn about the craft.  I think there are just as many rhymers who need to study the concept and devices of poetry.  If you want to sit at home and write your own style of poetry, that's fine, more power to you.  However, if you participate in a 'class' (or community or whatever you want to call it), then you have a responsibility, IMO, to learn the math and not take shortcuts by using a calculator.  You're only cheating yourself.  Maybe one person counts on his fingers and toes while another counts in his head, but it's the fact that they are learning their own method to find an answer that counts.  The person using the calculator is the one who will never really learn anything and is cheating themselves of the ultimate learning experience.

Thanks for the mind stirring discussion, Martin. Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  
IP Logged

Shanti
Forum Administrator

Stimmung: albern
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Hi guys

As a writer of free-verse poetry, I'll step inside in this discussion.

Free verse is anything but free.  We are as bound to poetic laws and devices as much in free-verse as those who write in the standard forms, even moreso to be honest.

Free verse has meter, just not the kind that one would associatate with say iambic feet.  In free-verse, the meter and flow come from the use of other devices rather than from the words themselves.  The flow relies on assonance, alliteration, metaphor and imagery.

I find that I can delve deeper into layered and extended metaphors when I write in free verse.  The opportunities for dualities and hidden meanings has far more breadth for me as a wrier than I ever found in the restricted formats.

We use many of the same techniques -- Our poems have enjambment, Caesuras and so forth.  We simply do not emply the art of scansion for our poems but all of the other elements of writing are there -- and then some.

Now, having said that, I will state that I also write in the strict forms having several sonnets, pantoums and villanelles under my belt.  While I found them enjoyable to read and write, my personal poetic voice craves what it finds in free verse that the forms do not offer me.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on this one...

Mary

IP Logged

Martin
Topic Starter Topic Starter

CP Grand Pooh-Bah

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:05am
Print Post  
debskatz wrote on Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am:
hi martin,

yeah, i knew that you posted more on the first forum, but still not as much as you post on these (caboose).  i remember this thread from that forum.

i'm not an experienced poet so I cannot offer "expert" opinions.  i do agree that poets who write free verse need to have some knowledge of how to write r&m poems first.  

but i do not believe that they have to have the extent of knowledge that you are advocating.  It's like saying that no one should play the piano until they completely understand all the scales and key signatures and music theory.

yet i saw an 8 year old boy, who had been born blind and mentally retarded, play Beethoven.

and surely there are those poets among us who can write free verse without having learned all the essential knowledge of r&m.

if everyone waited to know all there is to know about r&m before they tried their hand at free verse, very little free verse would be around and the poetry community, as a whole, would not be as rich and varied as it is now.

deb Smiley

p.s. please forgive my ignorance and tell me what IMO & IMNSHO mean.  THANKS!

Deb—

My point is this: Poetry depends on the ability to effectively use all of the poetic devices available to the poet. To many folks—too many folks—free verse seems to be a shortcut way of writing “poetry” without first learning how to gain some degree of facility with poetic devices. So, they plop some “feelings” down on a page, form arbitrary line breaks, and say “See? I wrote a poem!” I say “Garblefarb! You have not written a poem. You have done an emotional dump that you have fooled yourself into believing is a poem, because you never bothered to learn a darn thing about the use of poetic devices. You think that the ‘free’ in ‘free verse’ means that there are no requirements for writing poetry, and that anything you write can be called ‘poetry.’” R&M poetry really forces you to gain a better handle of the use of poetic devices, and, therefore, improves your ability to use them to create real poetry.

True free verse indeed does make extensive use of poetic devices. And, yes, I know of a number of folks who can write “real” free verse, but have never mastered R&M. But they are the execption, rather than the rule, IMO. The more mastery you have of the use of poetics devices, the better your free verse will be. It’s as simple as that. And learning how to write R&M poetry really will improve your skills in the use of poetic devices.

-Martin

BTW: “IMO” = “In My Opinion,” and “IMNSHO“ = “In My Not So Humble Opinion.” These are just a couple of the numerous shorthand notations folks use in cyberspace. See, for example, 
Netiquette Smilies & Shorthand.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  

IP Logged

alien

Still so much to learn...

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone,

an excerpt from this site tenders this...

What is free verse anyway? However varied its definitions, there is general agreement on two points:

(1) the sine qua non of free verse is lineation. When the lines run all the way to the right margin, the result is prose." The basic unit of free verse is thus the line. 

(2), unlike metrical or strong-stress or syllabic or quantitative verse, free verse is, in Donald Wesling's words, "distinguished . . . by the lack of a structuring grid based on counting of linguistic units and/or position of linguistic features". 

As Derek Attridge explains: 

Free verse is the introduction into the continuous flow of prose language, which has breaks determined entirely by syntax and sense, of another kind of break, shown on the page by the start of a new line, and often indicated in a reading of the poem by a slight pause. When we read prose, we ignore the fact that every now and then the line ends, and we have to shift our eyes to the beginning of the next line. We know that if the same text were printed in a different typeface, the sentences would be broken up differently with no alteration in the meaning. But in free verse, the line on the page has an integrity and function of its own. This has important consequences for the movement and hence the meaning of the words. 

But to answer Martin's question:

What Makes 'Free Verse' Poetry?

then I would say, given all that I have learned so far, that my answer is...

the writer's willingness to accept that the term 'Free Verse' does not mean free from the normal conventions of good grammar, punctuation or spelling and does not mean free from the poetic devices available to all poetry writers (alliteration, assonance, effective imagery, etc.   

It may be free of a more rigid (or recognised) form (sonnet, villanelle, etc) and it may be free of a readily identifiable (and consistent) metrical pattern (iambic pentameter, trochaic tetrameter, etc), however, the use of metrical patterns that work well to speed up or slow down a line to good effect (based on subject matter) is considered to be an important part.

It may be free of a consistent rhyme scheme (such as contained in the more rhymed and more metered forms) however, the use of some occasional (and subtle) internal rhyme is also what distinguishes it from plain prose.

Please bear in mind that I'm not offering my answer as the definitive (or even correct) answer to Martin's question - it's merely what I have observed (and in some cases, been told) so far in my poetry writing days.

Take care.

alien

IP Logged

debskatz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
hi martin,

yeah, i knew that you posted more on the first forum, but still not as much as you post on these (caboose).  i remember this thread from that forum.

i'm not an experienced poet so I cannot offer "expert" opinions.  i do agree that poets who write free verse need to have some knowledge of how to write r&m poems first.   

but i do not believe that they have to have the extent of knowledge that you are advocating.  it's like saying that no one should play the piano until they completely understand all the scales and key signatures and music theory.

yet i saw an 8 year old boy, who had been born blind and mentally retarded, play Beethoven.

and surely there are those poets among us who can write free verse without having learned all the essential knowledge of r&m.

if everyone waited to know all there is to know about r&m before they tried their hand at free verse, very little free verse would be around and the poetry community, as a whole, would not be as rich and varied as it is now.

deb Smiley

p.s. please forgive my ignorance and tell me what IMO & IMNSHO mean.  THANKS!

IP Logged

Martin

CP Grand Pooh-Bah

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:53am
Print Post  
debskatz wrote on Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am:
reading your comments above, i looked up picassa paintings to confirm what i believe about him.  i can't stand his paintings.  i guess i like them about as well as you seem to like "free verse" poetry.

i'm a terrible painter, i've tried.  my ex, however, was and is quite good and i learned some about painting through her.

and i'm here to tell ya, there are some of his paintings that i could do just as well as he did them.  you simply will not convince me otherwise.

and i know there is no way that i could convince you of the value of free verse, so no point in trying.

i try writing a little of both.  i'm no great talent but i'm learning.

which actually reminds me to ask why you do not post on the other forums.  you have posted a total (so far) of 24 times, yet only one of those did you post and give comments to someone's poem.  and that was to norm who really doesn't need any help.

you have a lot of knowledge to share, martin.  yet you have only shared it mostly in this forum and in a very general way.

why not get out into the "real" world, the forums where poetry is actually posted for critiques and share your knowledge there.

i saw one of your posts where you were fussin' cause the caboose was not popular.  hey, if you can't bring the people to the mountain, take the mountain to the people and i'd be willin' to bet that you could get some good (learning) arguments going.

c-ya!
deb Smiley

Hi, Deb. Smiley

First, I don’t dislike free verse. In fact, I very much like “real” free verse. What I dislike is stuff that pretends to be free verse. My feeling is that “real” free verse requires a firm grasp of all of the non-R&M (rhyme & meter) devices available for creating poetry. Yet, most of what I have seen seems devoid of such poetic devices. And when discussing poetry with  many self-proclaimed “free versers,” I’ve found that a large majority of them were ignorant of/unskilled in the use of poetic devices. They often came to poetry with the belief that anything they write—as long as it has “feeling” (to them) and is formatted in a pleasing (to them) fashion is poetry. To many of them, learning how to create R&M poetry seemed to be an unnecessary waste of time, as they believed that R&M poetry was passe. This was one reason why I decided to start the What Is Poetry? thread.

Personally, I prefer R&M poetry, but that is simply my own taste. Once I feel reasonably skilled in the effective use of the full range of poetic devices, I will try my hand at free verse. Quite frankly, right now I don’t think that I’m “ready” to do it. 

Second, I have posted in other forums. Unfortunately, those posts were lost when the site crashed & burned about two-to-three months ago. Mary has indicated that much of the original database may be salvageable, and that she will be bringing back many of the old posts.

And finally, this forum is designed specifically “for discussions on meter, scansion and other poetic devices as well as a sounding off board for controversial issues and trends...” It didn’t exist before the crash, and was something that I had suggested and Norm and Mary implemented only about a month ago.

-Martin

IP Logged

debskatz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
reading your comments above, i looked up picassa paintings to confirm what i believe about him.  i can't stand his paintings.  i guess i like them about as well as you seem to like "free verse" poetry.

i'm a terrible painter, i've tried.  my ex, however, was and is quite good and i learned some about painting through her.

and i'm here to tell ya, there are some of his paintings that i could do just as well as he did them.  you simply will not convince me otherwise.

and i know there is no way that i could convince you of the value of free verse, so no point in trying.

i try writing a little of both.  i'm no great talent but i'm learning.

which actually reminds me to ask why you do not post on the other forums.  you have posted a total (so far) of 24 times, yet only one of those did you post and give comments to someone's poem.  and that was to norm who really doesn't need any help.

you have a lot of knowledge to share, martin.  yet you have only shared it mostly in this forum and in a very general way.

why not get out into the "real" world, the forums where poetry is actually posted for critiques and share your knowledge there.

i saw one of your posts where you were fussin' cause the caboose was not popular.  hey, if you can't bring the people to the mountain, take the mountain to the people and i'd be willin' to bet that you could get some good (learning) arguments going.

c-ya!
deb Smiley

IP Logged

Martin

CP Grand Pooh-Bah

What Makes “Free Verse” Poetry?
Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Many of you know my feelings about free verse. As I said in What Is Poetry?, I tend to agree with Robert Frost:

"For my pleasure I had as soon write free verse as play tennis with the net down." 

Mind you, I do not snub my nose at free verse. It’s just that I have seen very little worth reading. To be blunt, most of what I’ve seen simply sucks. Why? Because (IMNSHO) most folks who attempt it haven’t a clue what they are doing. They seemingly simply just plop down an emotional brain dump, make an attempt to edit it in some manner, and feel that they have just created poetry. For the most part, what they end up with seems to be virtually devoid of anything poetic (except, perhaps, in the authors’ minds). More to the point: What they write is not, IMO, free verse at all, but chopped up prose.

Part of this is due, IMO, to a lack of understanding of what poetry really is, and links back to the What Is Poetry? thread that I started. But, also IMO, part of it simply smacks of laziness: A refusal to spend the time, effort, and patience to learn the basics before attempting to create a “real” poem in free verse form. The best poetry that I’ve seen—regardless of form—has been written by folks who both have a natural talent as well as have learned something about the technical aspects of writing poetry.

Picasso is best remembered for his abstract art. Looking at his work, many might be misled into believing that abstract art is simple—all we need to do is simply dab blobs of paint on a canvas and pretend to ourselves that we’ve just created abstract art.

Hemingway is one of the 20th century’s most-celebrated American writers. Yet his writing often was filled with technical errors. Had you or I made such errors in writing a story, the story would’ve received a failing grade from our high school or college English instructors.

How did these guys do it? How did they “get away” with creating art and prose that violated the rules of traditional forms? In fact, not only did they “get away” with it, but they succeeded at creating masterpieces!

How many of you have seen Picasso’s earliest, traditional art? Or Hemingway’s earliest professional writings as a reporter for the Kansas City Star? I have. And they were very well done, indeed.

My point is that both artists were born with talent—but both studied, learned, and mastered the traditional before attempting the non-traditional.

It seems to me that the same is true for poetry. “Traditional” poetry has well-defined structures that include clearly identified meter, rhythm, and often rhyme. Until and unless we can master the various traditional structures, then (IMO) we will not likely be able to create “real” free verse (i.e., “poetry” in the free verse form). And—contrary to popular myth—free verse is not free from structure. But creating structure in free verse simply is more challenging, because it demands a lot from the poet: a solid understanding of, and facility with, all of the poetic tools, techniques, and devices available. And that isn’t attained by ignoring or—as seems to be the popular trend—dismissing traditional poetry as “old,” “obsolete,” or “irrelevant.”

You have to learn the rules before you can understand how to bend (or break) them to achieve effect.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. Yours may differ. Your mileage may vary.

What do you think?

-Martin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint