Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On Being German (Read 612 times)
Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: On Being German
Reply #41 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
As we re-open PoemTrain in these very troubled times, I recalled this poem by duetsdove because it still resonates and touches on all the often twisted dynamics of hate----of any kind!

IP Logged

The_Poet_Loriet

Your easiest hello and
your hardest goodbye

Reply #40 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
~sigh~
I read this and think about how insane it all is...children~are not born knowing how to hate...
Like a Shawn Mullins lyric that always affects me when I hear it..."He was born to shimmer, he was born to shine, born to radiate...but we will teach him how to hate..."  That's so sad~yet true!
I come from a complex heritage~Jewish mother and all of her ancestors, Catholic father and all of his...
My kids deal with mental illness~you know they both have bipolar disorder~and every time some crazy random act of violence happens and the person says~I couldn't control it because I have bipolar disorder that was out of control...puts me two steps back in the continual struggle to educate my kids teachers...and frustrates me to no end! 
We fear what we don't understand...
I think about Daniah being a Muslim in these times~and she is one of the most gentle souls I have met~and I remember her reaction to 9/11 and how it broke her heart too...
I have a large circle of good friends that are very accepting~in our group is a lesbian couple that knows more love together than most of us will know in a lifetime...several gay guys~when they cross-dressed and did a show~we were there supporting them because they are our friends~black men~white men~hispanic women~semoan...we all come from different walks of life~i love them all and I'm lucky that we can all call each other "friend"...
I wouldn't go back to grade school~junior high~for ANYTHING...kids can be cruel~because of their parents judgements and attitudes...I hope if there is one thing I teach my children~it's that every single person is worthy of love and respect.
Maybe your kids will learn that too~and that will be the silver lining~talk to them about judging others~and not that it's ever easy to know how that feels~and a lesson no kid should have to learn...it's a teachable moment for them to realize what the "right thing" is~and appreciate once more what an awesome mom they have!!!!!!!!

YIM  
IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #39 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
It's all so ugly, isn't it?

I got to miss out on that particular form of abuse; so far as anyone knows, I don't have any German ancestry.  Yet, how sad that one or two idiots (e.g. Chancellor Hitler and Kaiser Welhelm) should overshadow the music of Beethoven and Wagner, or make the world forget the architecture of  Liechtenstein, or the philosophical contributions of Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, or Nietzsche.

So much to be proud of that the world wants you to forget in shame.

Don't feel lonely, though...the world, for most of my youth, wanted to make me ashamed of being part Cherokee...continually reminded me that "Irish" is a synonym for "drunk"...still tries to tell me that "cowboy" means "illiterate hick" where it doesn't mean "delusional poser".

Remind your kids that such bullying is really only proof of ignorance...just as no Southerners today are slave-owners, no Germans today were actually in the SS.  Remind them that the desire to hurt others is really an expression of deep insecurity in the bullies.

Remind them that no amount of volume added to a lie can ever make it the truth, and that only THEY really get to say whether they're the kind of person they're being cast as.

(...and remind them how good a hug can feel...like the one I'm sending you.)

IP Logged

duetsdove
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Absolutely too true. . .and

Exactly.

Thanks for the visit. . .and the sharing.

~Ren~

Jerusalem wrote on Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am:
I'm so fat I haven't seen me feet in years.

You know that just by looking, you can see it from my elbows to my ears.

But you can't see my heart or judge it's convictions

Is it French, or maybe Greek?

What I would say...

If you want to teach your children what Predudice is, train them to know what predudice isn't...

Take a homeless child on your family vacation, give your birthday gift funds to feed the the starving in Africa
Take your children to the Special Olympics, either as a volunteer, or to yell and scream encouragement from the sidelines...get a hammer and help habitat for humanity

Change a difficult situation into something positive.  

If you can't see your shoes, you won't notice the hole in the soul.... 

We can talk or type about solutions for the rest of our lives....

(Some of you "words" are such good friends)

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Chaim ~

Thank you for your return, your honesty, your integrity. . .and for your kind words. . .all are sincerely appreciated. . .

Namaste!

~Ren~

Chaim wrote on Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am:
Hi Rene,

It was inappropriate of me to use this thread to express my struggle with prejudice.

It seems that with all of the attrocities past and present, the world is more full of hate than ever.

I just like it to stop, not in forgetfulness, but in remembering the cost.

I'll try to remember that a person should be judged only on her actions.

I hope that it's worked out for your son and that he can be proud of being German without fear of reprisal.

Regards,
Chaim

IP Logged

Jerusalem

Eat Punk n Pi   It will
all become quite clear

Reply #36 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I'm so fat I haven't seen me feet in years.

You know that just by looking, you can see it from my elbows to my ears.

But you can't see my heart or judge it's convictions

Is it French, or maybe Greek?

What I would say...

If you want to teach your children what Predudice is, train them to know what predudice isn't...

Take a homeless child on your family vacation, give your birthday gift funds to feed the the starving in Africa
Take your children to the Special Olympics, either as a volunteer, or to yell and scream encouragement from the sidelines...get a hammer and help habitat for humanity

Change a difficult situation into something positive.   

If you can't see your shoes, you won't notice the hole in the soul.... 

We can talk or type about solutions for the rest of our lives....

(Some of you "words" are such good friends)

IP Logged

Chaim
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Hi Rene,

It was inappropriate of me to use this thread to express my struggle with prejudice.

It seems that with all of the attrocities past and present, the world is more full of hate than ever.

I just like it to stop, not in forgetfulness, but in remembering the cost.

I'll try to remember that a person should be judged only on her actions.

I hope that it's worked out for your son and that he can be proud of being German without fear of reprisal.

Regards,
Chaim

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Thank you Bren. . .and I am delighted to have you home and reading all of our work again!

I'm off to read your fun poem about coming home.

Blessings,
~Ren~

IP Logged

Bren1934

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Rene, this poem drew me in from the first 2 lines to feel the emotions expressed here.  You delivered it straight from the shoulder and then the reprecussions of it on on you , the child.  It was easy for me to get a picture of the 9 year old with all the emotional baggage that went with it.  Then the heartbreak of it affecting your  children -- how cruel this world can be ! How ignorant and thoughtless some of the behavior and words that  sadly children learn and then repeat the cycle.
Looking at your final words- I say - with God's help maybe some day- some day, we will learn.   
Well written- i have delighted in reading your work again. 
I'm going to post a fun one about my return home here. Cheesy
hugs and blessings
Bren

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:02am
Print Post  
- we must learn to forgive - we must learn to love - because our children learn from example -

Hmmmm. . .I was just speaking with someone about this yesterday. . .thanks for putting it in print. . .

our children become what they see. . .absolutely.

~Ren~

IP Logged

Elisse

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I hope you all realize these are sarcastic remarks about foolishness I've heard over and over in search to cover up truths and spreading more hatred - pardon my sarcasm...I am trying to be respectful and I'm not directing this post to anyone in particular.

I was wondering as a catholic - should I tell my children to hate jewish children because non of the disciples spoke up in defense of Jesus, who was also jewish and they left him to die on cross?

...should I also tell my children to hate the spaniards (people from spain) that killed abused the woman and made slaves of our native indians?

...maybe I should also start looking in a nasty way at black people for not speaking out and letting the atrocities that happen in Africa continue - maybe they should all go back to Africa, and those that live in Africa be punished? By the way the people who were murdered in Ruwanda - that's not called a holocaust because...?

- or wait the point is to not forget right? - well ok next time I see a Lebanese - I'll just say " I know you didn't do anything - but I just can't forget 9/11 and you look so much like those Irakis...

... or I know, I'll write my stepmother who is phillipine and tell her to stop talking to her neighbor who happens to be japanese yeah the same japanese that put all the young men in a row and shooted them
(her 15 year old cousin included btw) when she was also just a young girl - because we must not forget...

Wait a minute maybe I should call my father and ask him why didn't great grandpa help stop the ku klux clan before they got away with all the things they did -

But...

I believe the point is - we must learn to teach our children to love and respect eachother for we are one as an individual as a human being and out of religious beliefs or race or nationality - we must learn to forgive - we must learn to love - because our children learn from example - and  one day we to will be judged for our actions.

an atrocity is that -  AN ATROCITY - just because it happened to MY PEOPLE or MY RACE it doesn't make it greater or lesser to any other atrocity happened in this ONE TINY planet we the people have divided so well, if this "not forgetting" in a non - productive way continues - not even a huge impact by a meteor could divide us more than we already are... 

Stop the marking, labeling, name calling, bullying - let's stop the hate - period and yes let's start forgetting so that our children have a better future based on the positive events of our history so they can imagine a brighter future for themselves - AND STOP THE HATE!

BTW - this has gone so far that in america there are non german people who call themselves nazis - so I wouldn't be too sure if nazi is still equal to german - and who knows what these white race american born nazis are up to! (see what I mean?)

Lisa~

*I will not be offended in any way if any of the moderators wishes to remove this post - honestly my intention is solely to open eyes not create any discompfort but if you believe pertinent to remove, well, by all means*
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  
YIM  
IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #30 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Hi L-J

Fogive me for the delay in my reply. . .I am just reading this now. . .

and this. . .is why we call you Angel girl. . .girl.  *soft smile*

Your response so eloquently stated so much regarding the targeting of people chained to a past they were not there to help create, the targeting of children who not only were not there but are not of an age to even begin to understand, all they feel is the "shunning". . .your response addressed this in ways much better than the poem. . .

Thank you for sharing with me, with us.

Namaste!

~Ren~

IP Logged

Romanyangel

Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
It’s frightening isn’t it…that children can somehow be held accountable for actions that were not only out of their control, but out of their time!  What happens when those children who are trapped in a corner by taunts and unjust accusation don’t have a guiding figure to tell them ‘hey, this isn’t you…don’t be afraid by your heritage, learn to accept, overcome and learn about the negative and positive’ what happens then? More hate is born and the very accusation starts to become a reality, they tire of apologising for something they cannot change, they tire of being ashamed of where they come from, they tire of being victimised and then new hate is born. 

In England, anti-German remarks are almost commonplace, I have heard them my whole life (though…not meaning to make this thread  light hearted, sometimes I wonder if its to do with the war or football!!) - but recently I have noticed a change in the tide, maybe because when you visit Germany you are met by some of the most hospitable, friendly and open minded people you will ever likely meet. Maybe because Germany is starting to be a ‘power’ state and is bringing us things that we really want.  Maybe its because they produce the best beer in the world * smile * 

Jimmy, an ex-partner of mine, who some of you may ‘remember’ was a soldier, who like thousands of British troops was stationed in Germany, so I spent time there and one thing that I noticed was that generations of German people were almost ashamed to be proud to be German, they have spent their lives apologising from something that happened before they were born.   

I am not denying or playing down the atrocities of the Holocaust - that’s not the point of my post, and those that know me will know that and know that why I am not Jewish, I come from a heritage that was probably the second biggest victims of the Holocaust. 

What I am saying is, that for everyone of us, no matter what heritage we come from, we have great shame in out roots, we ’in the past’ have committed great crimes against humanity - if you don’t believe me, google your heritage and tell me if anyone comes up as being worthy of living in that glass house.   

Being German, does not make you a Nazi…as on a lesser scale being a Gypsy doesn’t make me a uneducated dirty thief or being Jewish doesn’t  mean you supported the slave trade.  What makes me angry, is that in a world where information is so readily available, people still pass down to their children ignorance.

Your son is being bullied, and just as I would not tolerate any child/charge of mine being called names for the colour of their skin or heritage, I think that this attitude should not be accepted…I hope that his teacher has done something about this.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #28 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
All,

I would much rather respond to the later posts in verse rather than in this prose thread. But only ONE point (and it is coming from me-- I am Jewish and observe my faith,  I lost relatives in the Holocaust, I understand more than most the enormity of the loss of life imposed my madmen lusting for "their own" society and steeped in the insanity of hatred, and yes, I understand how so much of the world (all nations, the USA included) turned a deaf ear to what was clearly going on.

BUT --- visiting the sins of the fathers upon the children is a prejusdice unto itself that will only lay the groundwork for more holocausts---more anger, hatred and murder. It is NEVER acceptable --- EVER. My kipa reminds me to act differently --- I can NOT in any way become what they were --- what they sought to instill in their offspring.  They younger generations of Germans who now have their own children are, in general, making an extraordinary effort to expose what that period was like in the 30's and 40's.; the "new germans" have a conscience and ao many suffer a lot by genetic, national and social demons left as residue from a society THEY were NOT a part of. 

Note: Germany (and Germans) support Israel more tha most other European countries -- that is not by accident.

...and why should the 4th generation removed be the object of misgyuided, psychological prejudice based on the venomous hate spewed forth at the breakfast table --- fomented by ignorance and bigotry.  I would be doing EXACTLY that if I held such feeling for my next door neighbors (a lovely young immigrant family from Germany with two very young gilrs we play with all the time). 

Like I said (ha!) --- I'll put it into poetry --- 

We need to stop doing what was done unto us IMHO --- as Rene said -- it is only through remembering and then promotoing ny teaching and by example that there is no place for prejudice if we wish to ever live in peace on this planet.... we have enough poison in the world (like a leader of one country vowing to annihilate another country -- openly, blatantly). We have to do BETTER!

>>> all of us <<<

PS -- EVERYONE should read "Just Revenge" by Alan Dershowitz. It is so worthy of discussion and debate and points out the "fallout" of 2nd-3rd generations and if revenge is teh answer. It is a novel (fiction) and one with one heck of a plot twist.

Norm

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Nowhere on this thread does it ask for anyone to "bury the Holocaust". . .or "forget", which is a word that should never be ascribed to the Holocaust.

I am aware of the brief amount of time that has passed.  My mother suffered first-hand some of the atrocities of that war. . .being 9. . .and in Berlin at the time.  She watched as Russian soldiers raped the older women of her household. . .she ran from the dropping of bombs. . .she watched her father narrowly escape with his life during a bomb dropping. . .she hid with those her family  hid. . .

None of this work is about forgetting or "condoning" it is about understanding. . .

Never again is a phrase that must be applied across the board. . .never again should someone be able to rise to power in any country, drive fear into the hearts of the world, assassinate millions of people whatever their race, creed, belief or religion  may be. . .

Never again can only happen with remembering. . .and never again can only happen by teaching our children that insults and feelings of being superior to another because of race, creed, culture, etc. . .will only bing another such villanous, ruthless individual to a place of power.

Never again can begin right here, right now, even on this thread. . .

As Nas said. . .what our children hear, what our children see, what our children are told. . .will set forth. . .what they become, what they say, what they do. . .as adults.

The next Mein Kampf. . .could be written. . .in any language. . .if we do not find a way toward working to stop. . .hate and prejudice. . .and fear of what we do not completely uderstand.

~Ren~
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint