Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Styles of Sonnet: the Spenserian sonnet (Read 168 times)
Tim
Supreme Member

Re: Styles of Sonnet: the Spenserian sonnet
Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Eric,

Thanks for the answers. I think I "get it".

Namaste,
~Tim

IP Logged

dericlee
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Re: ballast...
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Just_Daniel wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 10:12am:
I promise not to upset the ballast, then, if ya take two-and-a-half years to answer my next question.

sittin' in the center o' the deck, Daniel  Cool

Then best keep yer back to the mast.

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

ballast...
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I promise not to upset the ballast, then, if ya take two-and-a-half years to answer my next question.

sittin' in the center o' the deck, Daniel  Cool

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Re: Styles of all three sonnets.
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Tim wrote on Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:24pm:
So, i am going to ask questions regarding not just the Spenserian sonnet here. Regarding three sonnets we have looked at (reverse order: Spenserian, Shakespearean and the Petrarchan) all consist of 14 lines. The Shakespearean comprises of 3 quatrains and an endling couplet that sums up the previous quatrains. Petrarchan is 14 lines that comprise one actual stanza but, for construction sake is considered two. One octet that poses a problem/query and one sestet that offers a solution. The turn in which one way of thinking or being into another is called a volta. 

First question: is the volta typically the 'light bulb' realization the speaker has at the time they see clearly how to answer the dilemma? Could a volta be delivered in a manner like "i think 'this' way about "A" only to find out that "A" really works 'that' way (the volta becomes the discovery of truth) then sestet address the newly discovered problem. Is that a proper option for the volta or there usually some moment when after meditation or inspiration the logic of the poem just starts to change toward the answer to the problem started in the octet?
That question was very theoretical and i understand that poetry is not math, this was the only i could think of to ask the question.

Next question: Am i correct in saying that the Petrarchan doesn't really 'sum up' at the end its "trip" the same way the Shakespearean does?

Third question: The Spenserian sonnet is one interlocked poem of 14 lines, yet in the example you offer the last two lines still offer conclusion like a Shakespearean ending couplet. Do i read that correctly and if so, is that typical of Spenserian sonnets?

Last question: Is there a difference between the Elizabethan sonnet and the Shakespearean sonnet? Is one variation of the other?

Thanks again for your time Eric. i appreciate it.  ~tim/azurepoetry

P.S. i am still going over the mythic sonnet. i will post on that thread any questions i get when they arise. Thanks again.

Okay...back to give this a shot.

Last question first.  My favorite poetic resource, the U of Toronto Glossary of poetic terms, defines the Shakespearean thus:   

English (or Shakespearean) sonnet: the Englished form of the Italian sonnet, developed by Sir Thomas Wyatt and Henry Howard, earl of Surrey with three quatrains and a concluding couplet, with the scheme abab cdcd efef gg .

It does not mention the Elizabethan Sonnet.  My Thesaurus does...it says 
Noun 1. Elizabethan sonnet - a sonnet consisting three quatrains and a concluding couplet in iambic pentameter with the rhyme pattern abab cdcd efef gg
See: English sonnet, Shakespearean sonnet 
  I think it is safe to say that the sonnet is called Elizabethan for being popular in that period, and because someone decided only Shakespeare wrote Shakespeareans.

Third question: in my experience, the "summing-up-let" is nearly a convention to all sonnet forms that end with a couplet.  It just seems to come naturally when writing them.

Second question: It would be more correct, I think, to say that the Petrarchan, not employing the final couplet in all cases, tends to spread that "summing up" over the final sestet...and possibly capitalizes on it in the final line, as in the Milton example we looked at.   

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

First question.

With exceptions, yes, I think the volta often serves as the introduction of the epiphany... the "lightbulb" moment.  I think this is most particularly true in Milton's work.

Dan'l, "over the rails" is a sailor's term, deriving from the usage "rail meat"...a deck hand who truly doesn't have the skills to work the rigging, and is usually just ordered from one side of the boat to the other, as a counter-balance.  To be "over the rails" is to be clinging precariously to what little balance one can maintain.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
This being a Train" site, the conductor (yours truly) would opt for the "up-chuck" unterpretation. I think the train rails got a bad rap from all those "threw her on railroad track" lyrics from the Coasters back in late '50's (remember Daniel?).

I, too, await the answers bit won't pressur our teacher on the timing.

Norm

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I'm looking forward to your answering Tim's questions too, since I have bits of the same ones still lingering....

and while you're at it, you may as well fill me in on another of those familiar expressions:  "over the rails"  The two pictures that come to mind are the girl tied up on the railroad tracks and a guy spewing his dinner over the side of the ship.  I'm assuming it means the latter, but I thought I may as well ask while I'm stoppin' by.

sLightly curious, Daniel  Grin

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
So, i am going to ask questions regarding not just the Spenserian sonnet here. Regarding three sonnets we have looked at (reverse order: Spenserian, Shakespearean and the Petrarchan) all consist of 14 lines. The Shakespearean comprises of 3 quatrains and an endling couplet that sums up the previous quatrains. Petrarchan is 14 lines that comprise one actual stanza but, for construction sake is considered two. One octet that poses a problem/query and one sestet that offers a solution. The turn in which one way of thinking or being into another is called a volta. 

First question: is the volta typically the 'light bulb' realization the speaker has at the time they see clearly how to answer the dilemma? Could a volta be delivered in a manner like "i think 'this' way about "A" only to find out that "A" really works 'that' way (the volta becomes the discovery of truth) then sestet address the newly discovered problem. Is that a proper option for the volta or there usually some moment when after meditation or inspiration the logic of the poem just starts to change toward the answer to the problem started in the octet?
That question was very theoretical and i understand that poetry is not math, this was the only i could think of to ask the question.

Next question: Am i correct in saying that the Petrarchan doesn't really 'sum up' at the end its "trip" the same way the Shakespearean does?

Third question: The Spenserian sonnet is one interlocked poem of 14 lines, yet in the example you offer the last two lines still offer conclusion like a Shakespearean ending couplet. Do i read that correctly and if so, is that typical of Spenserian sonnets?

Last question: Is there a difference between the Elizabethan sonnet and the Shakespearean sonnet? Is one variation of the other?

P.S. i am still going over the mythic sonnet. i will post on that thread any questions i get when they arise. Thanks again.

I'm delighted that you're taking this so seriously, and I promise I'll answer all of that! I will!

...but I'm still sorta over the rails, if you take my meaning, and I have to take things easy.  I'll be back.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Styles: the Spenserian sonnet
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Normpo wrote on Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:50am:
You're not.

Spenser was.  

(Hey, I told you no one was perfect!   Tongue )

>>> I know --- but I thought you were testing us ~smile~.  You know my favorite sonnet is Ozymandias and boy is that ever "flawed". And Milton and Frost took liberties, as well. But they all wrote great sonnets IMHO.

Norm

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:04am by Just_Daniel »  

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Normpo wrote on Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:50am:
Another brief visit/question:

L2 is giving me fits...
"Witness the world how worthy to be praised:"

Witness of course must be witness and though I know we can from tim to time begin a line with an accented syllable, what comes after just doesn't ever daDUM right for me. 

Where am I off on this?

Norm

You're not.

Spenser was.  

(Hey, I told you no one was perfect!   Tongue )
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:59am by Just_Daniel »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Another brief visit/question:

L2 is giving me fits...
"Witness the world how worthy to be praised:"

Witness of course must be witness and though I know we can from tim to time begin a line with an accented syllable, what comes after just doesn't ever daDUM right for me. 

Where am I off on this?

Norm

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:24pm
Print Post  

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:29pm by Tim »  

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Styles of Sonnet: the Spenserian sonnet
Mar 9th, 2006 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
I haven't studied this one intensively, so...straight from the Glossary...

Quote:
Spenserian sonnet: a fourteen-line poem developed by Edmund Spenser in his Amoretti that varies the English form by interlocking the three quatrains, abab bcbc cdcd ee

And straight from the creator...

The sovereign beauty which I do admire,
             Witness the world how worthy to be praised:
             The light whereof hath kindled heavenly fire
             In my frail spirit, by her from baseness raised;
             That being now with her huge brightness dazed,
             Base thing I can no more endure to view;
             But looking still on her, I stand amazed
             At wondrous sight of so celestial hue.
             So when my tongue would speak her praises due,
           It stopped is with thought's astonishment:
           And when my pen would write her titles true,