Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic _What IS Sonnet Central?? (Read 191 times)
Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Forced Words
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Forced Words

Let petals drift from off thy tongue, without
a drop of spittle thrusting them along.
Their sweet perfume will waft, have ne’er a doubt,
as fragrant, unforced words now draft a song.
Thine audience will rise to join with thee
in singing from the hearts thou'st loosed from dirge;
they joy in every word and cling, though free
to toss them all away.  Soon there's a surge:
thy chorus has attracted woodwinds, brass,
a harp with violins, two cellos, bass
to orchestrate thy verse... a stage of glass
as sight and sound and tempo all enlace.
    Thou hast projected wisdom sweet and true —
    a force that whispers, flows out… from the blue.

© MLee Dickens'son 08 June 2007
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2007 at 5:56pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Re: _What IS Sonnet Central??
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Does anyone know if Eric has done a bunk or something? Perhaps we could get this thread going again if he is returning.  Smiley

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Re: What IS Sonnet Central??
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you strip the line-breaks from a poem and read it aloud as prose, and anything sounds different, then somewhere in the construction of that poem, you've forced the rhyme or forced the meter.  If it doesn't sound like something you would have said that way to begin with, then it doesn't sound like normal speech, and again, you've forced something.

That's great counsel, Eric.  I know that a boatload of mine fall into your 'crap' description.  I do have a couple that I tested out by reformatting them as free verse, and I got praise from folks who'd never think of reading a sonnet... so I guess at least those two worked!

I'm enjoying my visits here, though I'm takin' it slow.

deLightin' in the journey, Daniel  8)

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Dear Teacher and Mentor,

I have written three new sonnets since we started Sonnet Central. Will we have an opportunity to have our own efforts examined, put under the microscope, critiqued and "slammed." ~smile~

Maybe we could sticky the threads we want to remain on top of this forum for teaching and discussion and let the rest of the threads be for us to post our sonnets for revision and help. We might set a limit to one sonnet per week or 14 days per student?

Let me know.

Norm

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 8:11am
Print Post  
I'm with Cat here--I've only written one--a long, long time ago, for me!  It will be scary to find out if I can even write one at all!!  I think finding a good topic will be second hardest to fitting words into a comfy flowing meter!  I'm looking forward to learning more Smiley

~Yvonne

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
So who is that guy in the hat, anyway?

For those who haven't met me, I'm Eric Lee.  

If you've heard of me at all in the world of poetry, you're probably a fan of the genre "Cowboy Poetry", since I have never been famous in any other arena.  

However, I wrote my first sonnet at eight years old, and Rene (duetsdove) has accused me, on occasion, of thinking in iambic.

She may well be right...I was taught to read by my grandfather and he only owned four books: the King James Bible, a Masonic Manual he  never let me touch, and the Collected Works of Shakespeare in two volumes.  At twelve, I fell deeply in love with Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and at fourteen I was spoken to as if by the voice of God by the works of John Milton.  (Don't anyone go running for the door just yet...I'm not a preacher anymore!)

I've probably written over 400 sonnets in the 41 years since my first one, including a sequence of 121 in my college days that my Professor of English described as "very worthy" (whatever that means) and can take credit for adding to the variations on the form with my own creation, the Mythic Sonnet.  We'll discuss that one when we start to discuss the various rhyme-schemes that distinguish one variation from the other in the realm of "fourteen lines of iambic pentameter."

I want to tell you this, though...up front.

Although nearly every one of those nearly 400 sonnets were written with mostly perfect rhyme and most with near-flawless meter...well over half of them were utter crap!  The key to GOOD rhyme and meter poetry is that the form should be INVISIBLE!  

By this I mean that if you strip the poem of stanzaic line breaks, and put it down word-for-word in the simple structure of paragraphs of prose, it should read and sound like normal speech...and should read and sound exactly as it did with all stanzas and line breaks in place.

A rhyme&meter poem should read as if the rhyme and meter had occurred by sheer coincidence.

If you strip the line-breaks from a poem and read it aloud as prose, and anything sounds different, then somewhere in the construction of that poem, you've forced the rhyme or forced the meter.  If it doesn't sound like something you would have said that way to begin with, then it doesn't sound like normal speech, and again, you've forced something.

That's why over 200 sonnets with near-perfect rhyme and meter have now turned out to be crap...I forced something.

Poetry is a liquid medium, y'all.  If it's going to transport you, it must flow.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006 at 6:25am by dericlee »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Tim and Cat,

I have written 46 sonnets and Eric has been my mentor, really. He has helped me on about 10-15 of them so I'd say the other 30 are probably still laced with flaws.

I think it is best to wait and see how this forum evolves. Let's give Eric a chance to introduce us to "Mr. Sonnet" whose initials are probably I.P.  But yes, all of us will be able to post our own sonnets here just as we would in any other critique forum. Unlike the other fora, THIS one is strictly dedicated to the sonnet form so those who post here can focus and improve their sonnet-craft.

Please wait about a week or so before starting your own thread, okay? 

I am also looking forward to this because I am anxious to become more proficient with what I consider to be the best poetic form of all time. I really believe it is the real measuring stick...litmus test...proof-of-the-pudding (et al) when it comes to evaluating if a writer claiming to BE a poet, really IS a poet. Even your classic free verse masters like ee cimmings and Billy Collins have written sonnets. You "might" have talent if you show me a well-written Haiku poem ... you MUST have talent to write a well-written sonnet. The latter just don't fall on to the paper by accident IMHO.  But --- you guys have heard me discuss all this before, right? "To wear the golden spurs, you must earn them." If you really learn how to write quality sonnets, I think you have earned the "right" to go out and "master" all the other forms of poetry out there. That's just me. Like I tell Vicki, "Don't start out painting in the style of Jackson Pollock" --- there is NO WAY to evaluate talent that way ... paint me something in the style of a Renoir, Picasso or even  Dali ... then I can see if there is really "talent in your brush."

Norm

IP Logged

flamingstar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Hey Norm!

I'm excited to see this.  I have trouble with sonnets for some reason (I've only written one) and I'm hoping to learn something that will help.

Are you going to start a new thread for posting our own sonnets or do we just start a new topic?

Cathy

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Thank you Norm and Eric!
i can't wait to get started on this. Hopefully after the smoke of the poetic ages clears, i will be able to read IP and feel the rhythm. i'm ready! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

_What IS Sonnet Central??
Feb 23rd, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
As the title implies, this forum is all about the Sonnet. There will be instruction threads, discussions, and the ability for members to post their own sonnets for critique. Our own resident sonnet guru, Eric, will be the principal moderator for this forum.  Everyone is invited to join in however s/he wishes. ALL threads will be open for posting. You may also post your own sonnets here whenever you wish -- please limit it to only two poems a week LOL.

Our goal is to provide this very special  place to concentrate on a poetic form that has survived centuries with some of the most notable master poet's names attached to the very mention of the word "Sonnet:"

Sapphos (ancient Greek)
Petrarch (14th century)
Shakespeare (16th century)
and  Spenser, Milton and a host of others.

I am sure we will have a "History of the Sonnet" threads posted here soon.

I thought it would appropriate to post a sonnet right in this introductory thread. It is a Petrarchan Sonnet  (also named the Italian Sonnet) which I am sure we will discuss along the way.

The Garden  
  by Edward Arlington Robinson

There is a fenceless garden overgrown 
With buds and blossoms and all sorts of leaves; 
And once, among the roses and the sheaves, 
The Gardener and I were there alone. 

He led me to the plot where I had thrown 
The fennel of my days on wasted ground, 
And in that riot of sad weeds I found 
The fruitage of a life that was my own. 

My life! Ah, yes, there was my life, indeed! 
And there were all the lives of humankind; 
And they were like a book that I could read, 
Whose every leaf, miraculously signed, 
Outrolled itself from Thought's eternal seed, 
Love-rooted in God's garden of the mind.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:16am by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint