Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Possible Poems for Discussion (Read 337 times)
Tim
Supreme Member

Re: Possible Poems for Discussion
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2007 at 5:18am
Print Post  
bump.

IP Logged

James_AL_Midgley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Well, Norm, it's up to you. You're the admin. I just find it more meaningful to discuss poetry that perhaps hasn't ever received (or has very rarely received) this kind of critical commentary. I also don't see a problem opening the door for people to contemporaries. In my opinion, if we are to write contemporary poetry it is vital to know what people are doing now, as well as then.

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
James,

It seems you and I are going to disagree a lot! 

First -- This forum used to have 23 poems in it that were discussed... and lost by my previous co-owner when the site got hacked and she had no backup (we lost about 8,000 posts).

Secondly -- BALANCE, please. I know from other posts you are fairly well read in the classics and I noted your knowledge of Milton (who , I think, is "ancient"???

We should try and discuss poets from all time periods. In all due deference, how many have ever heard of Feaver, Greenlaw, Farley, Redgrove and the others? They are not exactly household names like Plath and Frost.  I know of three of your names from your post and own their books --- but the others I have not seen in many anthologies to date.

I would like to discuss one or two of them here  --- but I think we should leave the "ancient" and "Archaic" comments for some OTHER cafe.

Norm

IP Logged

James_AL_Midgley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
'I don't entirely agree with you.  Both Sylvia Plath's poem and Frost's saw a lot of activity and some excellent discussion and neither are ancient. '

Fair enough, but several places I visit have similar boards that are considerably more active in terms of posts and posters. It's hardly a gripe, just a lament.

'Heck, we have only looked at three poems, you can hardly make a judgement on range from that'

Four, surely? And of course one can, in that 0% have been written in the last 20 or 30 years.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:30pm by James_AL_Midgley »  

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
It's a shame this section doesn't see more activity. I suppose it's a fair distance down the page. I think this section needs more contemporary poetry. Archaisms bring me out in nasty rashes. Heh.

I don't entirely agree with you.  Both Sylvia Plath's poem and Frost's saw a lot of activity and some excellent discussion and neither are ancient.

Heck, we have only looked at three poems, you can hardly make a judgement on range from that.I think we should look at a both older and more contemporary poems.  We can learn a lot from both.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2006 at 9:03am by nas »  

IP Logged

James_AL_Midgley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
It's a shame this section doesn't see more activity. I suppose it's a fair distance down the page. I think this section needs more contemporary poetry. Archaisms bring me out in nasty rashes. Heh.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Tim,

The latest interpretation of the law is that if it can be found to be "published" on the Internet somewhere is it is being sued ONLY for educational purposes, it should not violate any copyright laws. The act of referencing it with a URL or blocking and pasting is vurtually being done for the same purposes and not for any profit motive. The key is to be sure to reference & credit the writer appropriately.

Norm

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Terenece and Norm,

i will sit down and construct some notes on the poem and then announce the posting.

Norm,

Since this is for educational purposes, are we allowed to post the poem in it's entirety without infringing copyright laws? Her poems are still "newer" compared to those laws.

~tim
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006 at 1:02am by Tim »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Go for it, Tim -- I'm game.

Norm

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
That's a good choice, Tim, among others I hadn't previously read. It seems that, after one gets past the obvious metaphors, there are some interesting interplays that make one ponder the true intent.

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Hello All,

Since Norm's personal challenge, i have been reading Sylvia Plath's "Nick and the Candlestick" over and over again. i would be willing to set up the poem and test what little i've gained from my months of dissection. Perhaps someone else might come along with insight to some of those infamously difficult, yet vivid, lines.

~tim

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 3:38am
Print Post  
This might not be a good idea given past comments about Emily Dickinson, but at some time I would be interested in getting an understanding as to why, for instance, "The Wind Begun to Knead the Grass" might be considered a good poem. To start, in five of the six of her poems I read, there was an excessive use of the dash, which I understood to be used for emphasis or explanatory comment. I didn't see that the dashes added anything other than an annoyance.

Terence
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2006 at 3:45am by Terence »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 4:25am
Print Post  
I am open to suggestions --- I am "neglecting" this forum a little bit and I apologize -- I am getting everything set up for The "Virtual Cafe" where we will be able to discuss poems and poetry LIVE --- voice and all! S please be patient and watch for a full "grand opening" message in the Announcements Forum within a few days.

Norm

IP Logged

James_AL_Midgley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Sounds good! I have quite a large repertoire of poems I know well enough to discuss, though must admit to not being extremely well versed (sorry for the pun) in most of the ones you mention--except Prufrock, of course.

IP Logged

veinglory

veinglorious

Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Would it be possible to look at some more out of the way works?  I love the classics but have trouble finding much new to say about them Smiley  However there are some modern poets and those from outside the US/UK that deserve further investigation?  Just a suggestion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint