Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Poem Discussion #1 - Tell me what you think (Read 119 times)
Don

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Poem Discussion #1 - Tell me what you think
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I am certainly not much of a New Yorker fan, but think this one of the better poems published in high class magazines such as The Atlantic Monthly.

To me it is the droning of the drones.  The implied challenge is "what can you do?"  When beaten into a statistical number, everything loses humanity and depression and acceptance of horror reigns.

Don

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Re: Poem Discussion #1 - Here's what I think
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Norm,

I missed this thread. I come up with three thoughts:

1. Within the quote below, line #3 is redundant, the image of red ink on red pads is purposeful enough, imo.

Quote:
while masked men in the watchtowers 
keep count in red ink on red pads

simultaneously recording and concealing 
the numbers of dead

2. after stanza#10:

Quote:
my face burning not with shame but exhaustion
for I only sleep a few hours a night

the remaining stanzas remind me of 1984, but doesn't anything political. Down to the prison of fear and the standard issue ashtray. 

The very last line/comparison to a star has been done before and, for me, the whole poem could excise stanzas 11 and 12 as they seem to almost justify the N's tacit approval/complacency.

This line should be dropped down to the ending:
my face burning not with shame but exhaustion

3. I'm not overly fond of the minimalism of the poem (no offense nas if you're reading this; I like yours). While the poem moves in standard prose mechanics of ab bc cd, etc. in line/theme construction, there is no leap in the droning (which I understands coincides with the mechanical-ness of the N's life) into ephiphany for the reader and I have to wonder what does the minimalism serve without the abstract placement?

Those are my thoughts on the poem, spoken by an unpublished poet, mind you.

~Tim/azurepoetry

IP Logged

diehard
Supreme Member

evolving always

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Such a sense of entrapment's all over this poem:
   those being executed

those bound by what they are calling their beliefs

the mechanical shooting/recording/concealing/praising whatever or whomever they're perceiving as god

the narrator: encased in a cocoon, (restricted by unnecessary bars (he's already mute, sterile, conditioned ?) performing rote tasks, imprisoned by unnamed fear; no longer able to communicate with what he "might have been", though the would-be effort to approach that communication's trashed in futility, burnt by a flame underlining how remote from hope's light he is.

I can't help, (though it's not pleasant) viewing the narrator as all of us, standing by, knowing unfair slaughter's occurring all around us and we keep on with our day-to-day patterns, pretending to ourselves "there's nothing we can do" -- imprisoned by our own denial (?). 

So many thoughts this invokes, Norm. Jeez. 

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Hi Norm

A very disturbing poem indeed and one that will invoke a strong reaction in the reader.

I have to believe that the narrator is only working so close to such attrocities because he is hiding from a similar fate and that his prison is his fear of being discovered.

Any other interpretation would be unpalatable and would make him as culpable as those in the watch tower - complicit in the whole act of genocide, watching and doing nothing.

I like that the poet doesn't limit this to a time and place.  It could be any group anywhere and at any time, past, present or future.

I hope it's ok to quote excerpts - if not, please delete

Quote:
and nodding with each round of gunfire
mumbling praise to their leader

and his god whose righteousness and mercy
he mirrors while I keep to my work 

Why is it that these mass murderers use God and religion to justify their actions.  I like that god is not capitalised, showing it isn't the narrator's god and he is not a "believer" in this "city of believers"

Good play on "graveyard shift"

Masked men is another good way of making this universal.  The gunmen are featureless, just killing machines.

red in on red pads, gives the picture of blood and at the same time illustrates the recording and concealing.

Standard-issue ashtrays is an excellent way of very quickly and simply showing the type of oppression the rulers enforce.

I need to think more about the last verse.  At the moment I don't really understand it though I wonder if it is to do with the flame of passion or life seeming as remote as stars.

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Poem Discussion #1 - Tell me what you think
Mar 25th, 2007 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
After reading this poem (click on link) -- tell us what you think.  Be open, frank and honest and we'll see what discussion ensues.

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/03/19/070319po_poem_christopher

Norm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint