Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reserved (Read 89 times)
prosaic
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Re: Reserved
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Hi MD,

Thanks for catching-up with this; appreciated.

I've been very busy of late, so not on PT - great to return, albeit briefly, afore back to the grindstone.

>MD> I like how you've caught the light, although I wonder if taking the shot when the sun was at a higher angle and cut across the picture a bit more, might have made for a more striking shot. But of course that is just my over analytical brain spewing forth its opinion. I really love this picture as it it too

I do see what you mean. The problem is this was shot in an old pub (13th Century building), the windows (and ceiling) of which are very low. Moreover, this chair was at the back of the room and, in consequence, sunlight would illuminate no higher. This was, in fact, shot at lunch-time, when the Sun was at its zenith.

>MD> My imagination began to run wild when I first looked at the shot, thinking of all the people who could've sat in that chair

YES! I think that is the very thought I hoped people would have - it was mine, too. Even the chair is very young, compared to the pub, and one does wonder about the generations of people and their forgotten stories.

Very much appreciated, MD. Thanks indeed.

ep.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:54am by prosaic »  

IP Logged

Melody Dancer

***Niiiiiiiiice**

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:21am
Print Post  
I like how you've caught the light, although I wonder if taking the shot when the sun was at a higher angle and cut across the picture a bit more, might have made for a more striking shot. But of course that is just my over analytical brain spewing forth its opinion. I really love this picture as it it too  Grin My imagination began to run wild when I first looked at the shot, thinking of all the people who could've sat in that chair  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:24am by Melody Dancer »  
IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Ren,

Sorry, I missed your reply here. Thanks!...

>R> Well a group of writers in an English pub with rounds of ale/beer sounds good to me. . .I'm rather fond of something a bit stout, not too heavy but definitely not too pale. . .whenever you order that next round.  lolol  

Smiley Yes, I love real ale - CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale) have done a brilliant job at saving it from elimination in the 1960s/70s.

>R> A Captain's Chair, yes, we have those here as well. . .this style. . .was a "remake" in the 70's along with the bead-board paneling, shag green carpets and avocado appliances.

We installed an avocado bathroom suite. Smiley

>R> *smile*  Of course with the exception, perhaps, of the Mission/Craftsman style of furniture. . .we have always "borrowed" from the Europeans in the past. . .even what is considered Early American or Federal has its roots across the seas. . .

I guess so. And we have European influences here as well - we had some Bahaus chairs, for example. (Don't think they stood up to my weight!)

Thanks, Ren.

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Well a group of writers in an English pub with rounds of ale/beer sounds good to me. . .I'm rather fond of something a bit stout, not too heavy but definitely not too pale. . .whenever you order that next round.  lolol  

A Captain's Chair, yes, we have those here as well. . .this style. . .was a "remake" in the 70's along with the bead-board paneling, shag green carpets and avocado appliances.  *smile*  Of course with the exception, perhaps, of the Mission/Craftsman style of furniture. . .we have always "borrowed" from the Europeans in the past. . .even what is considered Early American or Federal has its roots across the seas. . .

Roll Eyes

Ren
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:17pm by duetsdove »  
IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Hi Ren,

>R> Oh, yes, I think the chair should be the focus so the posters would have definitely been a distraction. . .

Thanks. I shall try to find the original.

>R> The chair seat appears to be worn. . .and I've been trying to guess the age by the style. . .but while I know much of our American furniture derived itself from the English. . .this chair looks more American to me than English. . .and should it be antique I guess I'd place it in the mid 1800's. . .

This is sometimes called a "Captain's Chair" and can be found at zillions of pubs in Britain. They have been made throughout the 2othC but I do not know how far back they go - 17thC I expect. I would assume they originated on-board ship - hence their appearance on both sides of the Atlantic (and in it, probably!)

>R> or it's simply from the late 60's 70's with the beadboard paneling in the background.

That panelling is yuk and 1960s, yes. But actually, it is panelling on the wall of a 14thC pub - about 25 miles from here, in which a group of writers met and brought the quiet decorum to an end.

>R> In any event. . .I certainly agree that it puts one in mind of who sat there, what they did. . .and family hours. . .

Smiley

Thanks Ren. Appreciated.

p.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:56am by prosaic »  

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:37am
Print Post  
DianeEsk wrote on Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:21am:
Prosaic,

I defintely like the lighting and shadows in this photo, nice title also. Cant quite make it out but there is a bit of a distraction in the foreground.

Diane

Hi Diane, Thanks.

Glad you like it so.

I assume you mean the thorn-looking blemish on the sunlight? If so, yes, I had not noticed that until I posted here - will remove on the proxy-original. 

Again, appreciated.

p.

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Prosaic,

I defintely like the lighting and shadows in this photo, nice title also. Cant quite make it out but there is a bit of a distraction in the foreground.

Diane

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Oh, yes, I think the chair should be the focus so the posters would have definitely been a distraction. . .

The chair seat appears to be worn. . .and I've been trying to guess the age by the style. . .but while I know much of our American furniture derived itself from the English. . .this chair looks more American to me than English. . .and should it be antique I guess I'd place it in the mid 1800's. . .

or it's simply from the late 60's 70's with the beadboard paneling in the background.   

In any event. . .I certainly agree that it puts one in mind of who sat there, what they did. . .and family hours. . .

Ren

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
nas wrote on Jul 6th, 2008 at 4:40pm:
Hi P

I love the light and darkness in this picture - the way the sun is coming through the window illuminating just the front of the chair.  

It hints at all the people, now dead, who might once have sat in the chair, what their lives were like.  I imagine pinafored women, shelling peas at a well scrubbed table, while her ten or so children are in the streets playing.

Thanks muchly, Nas - appreciated.

There were posters behind the chair but I removed those. Glad you liked the light / dark Smiley

p.

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Hi P

I love the light and darkness in this picture - the way the sun is coming through the window illuminating just the front of the chair.   

It hints at all the people, now dead, who might once have sat in the chair, what their lives were like.  I imagine pinafored women, shelling peas at a well scrubbed table, while her ten or so children are in the streets playing.

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reserved
Jul 6th, 2008 at 3:41pm
Print Post  

"Reserved"

Hi,

Here's a picture of a chair at 20% resolution. Crit / comments appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

(C) Kapulco 2008
www.kapulco.com
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2008 at 3:41pm by prosaic »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint