Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Favourite and least favourite poets? (Read 56 times)
davidf
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Favourite and least favourite poets?
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I think Pandatronic was referring to classic and famous contemporary poets; I wouldn't want to play favorites in choosing someone from here.  That being said, I like Frost, Poe, Dickinson, cummings, Longfellow, Keats, Angelou, Carroll and (Shel) Silverstein.  I don't like poets whose poems are too long to read in one sitting, like Whitman and his Leaves of Grass or Homer.  I can't understand some of the poets earlier than Shakespeare, so it is very frustrating to read them.  Also Plath's work is a little too depressing for my taste.  The rest I've of the (classic) poets I've never read or never head of, so I can't pass a fair judgment.
~Davidf

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Be honest.

Okay, that lets out all the traditional highbrow responses (though I still like Milton and Dante...sue me!)

My true favorites, role models, heroes of verse...

"Knowns"

Rudyard Kipling, Robert W. Service and Baxter Black...for the pure honesty of tales told in rhyme without a blush or even a nod to Ivory Towers.

Lewis Carroll, for the sheer release into fantasy that even so is thinly veiled realism to those who know that 'reality' is the greatest fantasy of all.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning...for Love (with a capital L, yes) because there is STILL no finer subject for poetry than Love, and no better language for Love than poetry.

"Unknowns"...best known to those who matter most anyway!

Serenem...beloved Melinda who never needed schooling, form or tradition to create pure poetry.

Duetsdove, who combines the vocabulary of a true intellectual with the honest cowgirl denial of any appeal to "intellectual" status...and without a blush for letting her brains show anyway.  When her best foot is forward, it's usually aimed at a stirrup, though she never writes 'cowboy' at all.

KerrinScott.  Because.  Just because.  (Some things defy analysis.)

Norm, for a steadfast insistence on demonstrating that form is not a restriction, but a liberation!

Claw...for inspiration above and beyond the call of duty.

Reed Charles, who can even make poetry of journalism.

There are others...many others...but what's the point of playing favorites if you can't point to the best?

And a single least favorite (yes, Shane..." distinct disdain JUST by the mention of his name.")

I had a long list of his failings to offer, here...but why bother?

Sorry, Shane...but we can't agree on everything, can we?

IP Logged

KerrinScott

Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Panda,

It's the eternal question, right?

It's the sort of ongoing dialogue that poets have about justifying one's place in the "canon" -- surely a dirty word if ever there were such a thing.

I tend to say that I like poems more than poets. There are plenty of poems I love, and those have, on more than one occasion, been written by poets whom I have little to no admiration for.

I love Wendell Berry, and I think if I were taken to task for "emulating" someone's voice, it might be his. My voice isn't quite as earthy or pastoral, and I'm certainly more inclined toward rhythm and the importance of how my poems "sing" than he is --  but there is something in him that resonates with me. It probably has something to do with a sense of shared heritage.

As to more traditional verse -- I do love Frost, and most of Yeats; although, as I grow older I become more and more disenchanted with Yeats propensity to overwrite and be wholly and unnecessarily sentimental about things that I regard with relative disdain or am wholly unconcerned with.

I would be hardpressed to offer any love to the Beats -- Ginsberg and company just don't pass muster for me.

I do love the vast majority of what I've read of Auden. But he's vast, and it's hard to spend lots of time with him because he says things that knock loudly against my own very well secured doors -- it makes me uneasy at time.

I do enjoy modernism to some degree, though sometimes it is pushed too far. For example, though they are "shining lights" of modern poetry, I don't have a great deal of love for poets like Nikki Giovanni, John Ashberry, or even Donald Hall (though I do absolutely love a handful of Hall's poems -- and would defend them with my dying breath).

If we're talking closer to home, there are a handful of poets I've met via the forums I've written at and moderated over the years that I will ALWAYS read:

Melinda (Serenem) is one, Renee (our own Duetsdove) is another. Norm and Eric both fall in that category. Eric and I are kindred of a sort, and we share an understanding of one another that runs deeper, I think, than the superficiality that poses as real understsanding via the internet sometimes.

There are others, but I've since lost contact with many of them -- Tara and Gene from Poem Online, and Portia from the same site. And though it will elicit snarls and perhaps induce vomiting from some -- Engprof, Michael Bennet, from the same site -- a man who still elicits responses of either wonderous exuberant joy or distinct disdain JUST by the mention of his name.

But I love poems more than poets...

The River Merchant's Wife: A Letter
In Memory of W.B. Yeats
When You Are Old
The Mornings News
One Art
Ars Poetica

Just to name a paltry few...

Shane

IP Logged

pandatronic
Topic Starter Topic Starter

Favourite and least favourite poets?
Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:48am
Print Post  
What are you favourite (famous) poets, and who influences you the most? It doesn't have to be for all time, it could just what your tastes are right now. 

For myself, I'd have to say S.T. Coleridge, Alfred Tennyson, Alexander Pope and Shakespeare. I like lots of other poets as well (mostly from the English classic lit canon, and OLD) but those are my favourites. My tastes have changed over the years, and they could change again as I mature. I generally like Renaissance, 18th century, Romantic and most Victorian British poetry. 

Next question: what poets or poetic movements/eras do you just not get? I don't get Modernism (although I've never made a serious effort to study it) I don't really get the Beats either. That might be because I'm British, and American lit is a big gap in my knowledge. I think the main problem there is not understanding. 

I actively dislike are the Liverpool poets, whereas I used to like them in high school. I don't really like Ted Hughes or Sylvia Plath, though I can see why people do. 

Oh, and as much as I love the Romantics, I think Blake is kind of overrated as a poet (in our time, not his!) - though he isn't overrated as a visionary. 

Anyway, be honest! I like these kinds of discussions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint