Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Time Won't Erase - Shakespearean Sonnet Tribute to my 1st Mentor (Read 95 times)
sierra
Gold Star Member

Re: Time Won't Erase - Shakespearean Sonnet Tribut
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:13am
Print Post  
I read this a while back but didn't comment--sorry.   I think it's awesome that you could respond in such a way with your own sonnet....they are both equally charming and bear truth that you can't argue with.... though they seem to be holding a gentle discussion of important matters, one against but still on the side of the other (if that makes any sense), still they complement eachother.

I guess I like your ending couplet as it is--but your alternative is also nice.  I just like the "image" of the first better, it leaves a more intimate impression.

"as each to each..... a song gives birth to song"
I love this line

Yvonne

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks terrence and Tim --- I never realized those nits before your posts -- they are valid. Thanks --- Re-writes are GOOD ~smile~.

Eric -- and all:
He is one fine man, Dr. George. He influenced me back when I was 15 years old to the point I began to write, read and love to teach. He deserves at least this measure of immortality.

That is WHY, Eric, when you began "mentoring" my sonnets more than 3-4 years ago, you, too, were a strong influence in bringing me back to the strict forms that, although I never abandoned, was only "playing with them" --- and in BAD form, at that. You never know how much you are impacting on another's life, so it's important to let them know and "give them the flowers NOW" -- I know I've said it to you before... but it warrants repeating every now and then

THANKS (again),

Norm

Norm
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2006 at 1:20pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Norm,

i must say that i was thrown off by the set up of L1-4 in Dr. George's work. i too had to reread the piece to realize that L2 was an continuation (enjambment?) of L1. Thus the comma (signpost as you would put it). Would it be grammatically correct to put a colon the word 'time' on L1 to indicate a list of things that wild wind and time 'will do'?
Dr. George's poem is excellent.

Yours is a pleasant tribute that reminds us cynics that while the wind will batter monuments and scatter the sand and leaves, in its own way, everything is transformed into something else. Even if the poem itself is not held, the ideas, inspiration and energy is stored and released in others and passed onto those who contact them (like posters on this website for example). i love your work as well and could not think of anything better to have received other than a poem that says something to the effect..."hey, what you did, said and wrote in the toil of your numerous efforts was more than worth it. It was priceless to me...thank you".

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
You’re right, Eric, I’ll try

In Dr. George’s poem I was put off by L3 and L4 until I realised ‘Wild wind and time’ was omitted. Even then, I have no idea what the punctuation should be in that case. I also thought the repetition of ‘will’ after that point was a bit overdone although it does make a statement of the absolute.
There were a couple of bumps in ‘Time Won’t Erase’. I felt that the emphasis on ‘will’ in L5 made it a stressed syllable, thus disrupting the meter. Strictly, ‘poem’ in L6 is two syllables, which upsets the meter. ‘sever’ in L13, and ‘forever’ in L14 give an extra syllable unless the ‘soft’ syllables are not counted.

Even with the inversions I did not find either poem to read like ‘natural speech’, in part because of the punctuation.

That’s my two bits.

Terence

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Eric and Cat --

Thanks for the appreciation and also for your advice on the last line --- I concur.

I am quite fond of this poem for its sentiment and for the opportunity it gave me to not only honor my high school mentor, but to also try and have the student advise the teacher that he was "wrong" --- he WILL not be erased so long as our words remain for others to read into eternity.

Norm

Too often, teachers believe that they'll be forgotten once the final bell is rung.

I know...and so do you.

I hope the rest of the students in THIS class will give this work the same attention they've been giving each other's.

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Two exceptional poems and I particularly like the sentiments expressed in your tribute, Norm. It immediately brought Sonnet 18 to mind.

Terence

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Eric and Cat --

Thanks for the appreciation and also for your advice on the last line --- I concur.

I am quite fond of this poem for its sentiment and for the opportunity it gave me to not only honor my high school mentor, but to also try and have the student advise the teacher that he was "wrong" --- he WILL not be erased so long as our words remain for others to read into eternity.

Norm

IP Logged

flamingstar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
A wonderful rewrite and tribute to someone who had such an influence on you.  I especially like the way you've challenged his words, turning them into a part of the tribute.  I like your second choice for the last line BTW.   

Cathy

IP Logged

dericlee
Gold Star Member

"Shiny!  Let's be bad
guys."

Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Given your fondness for puns, I like your alternate last line better...it's more "the Norm" (to play my own way).

This is cool...I've always had a fondness for a classic reworked.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Time Won't Erase - Shakespearean Sonnet Tribute to my 1st Mentor
Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Note:  please read explanation beneath these two poems --- thanks. I don't know if any you have read these before -- I posted them in January, 2004.

Time Will Erase *
  © Dr. Richard A. George (1957)

Wild wind and time will powder into dust
The rugged granite and the falling bough,
Will tarnish words as bright steel turns to rust
Will dry the well that holds its crystal now.
Wind will erase and time will bear no trace
For earth will blow and hide away the name
Will fashion change across the sleeper's face
Thus rock and leaf and heart will look the same.
How can we move so infinite as time
How can we sing the wind's undying song,
No woven pattern in a measure rhyme
Can outlast these though beauty make them strong.
O scatter wind and time leave nothing whole,
Still must we write to satisfy the soul.

Time Won't Erase
   © Norman S. Pollack  (2004)

Wild wind and time will form a mountain strong;
On strengthened granite shall your words be saved
The metered verse that stayed with me this long
Shall crystallize and through this be engraved.
Wind won't erase and time will bear the trace
For on this earth a poem outlives a name,
And though it seems life's journeys go apace,
More than a bust on Rushmore is our fame.
How can we then be finite since we rhyme
Through verse, outlast the elements so strong
That woven lives will never measure time
As each to each ... a song gives birth to song; 
O scatter wind and time for they can't sever
Poetic souls entwined like this forever. ***

*** what about: Poetic souls inscripted now forever

* Re-printed with permission of Dr. Richard A. George

===============================================
Brief explanation; 
The first poem, "Time Will Erase" was written by my high school English teacher in 1957 (I was a sophomore, would you believe). It was THAT poem that he read it in class from his book, "Undertow", that got me interested in writing poetry and teaching. He was such a positive influence on my life!

Well, lwe were re-united a few years ago in 2004. He is 87 years YOUNG today and is still witty, sharp and recites his poetry from memory. He is very well published in England and was recognized with a special writing award (I'll have to get the name of it) by the Queen. He has never used a computer and you cannot find his poetry anywhere on the Internet. I do still have his book, "Undertow".

So after more thanm 45 years, I FINALLY wrote a response-poem/sonnet in tribute to the man and poem that started it all for me. It cannot match his, but it was from the heart. True to form (Norm's), I contradicted him a bit by challenging his titled comment, "Time Will Erase". I read his and then mine together that night inn the restaurant ---it was a beautifully shared emotional moment.

As you read both of these, remember the line, "GIVE THEM THE FLOWERS NOW". I was fortunate enough to have this opportunity (and more to follow) in my lifetime. Re-connect with those from your past that have meant something to you ---- I'm glad I did!
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:59am by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint