Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Altered Photos of Florida (Read 60 times)
Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Altered Photos of Florida
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up -- a lot of the posts on THIS board were posted long ago and a lot of the Internet links are "broken" by now so you can't view the pics.  I'll try to bump up those that still work.

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Is this tile moribund?

Well I actually want to disagree with some of the forgoing. I also take photographs and manipulate them and I very much enjoyed this series. With modern cameras, excellent photographs are available to so many people. But changing them - as you have - requires artistic editing beyond the lens and can be awful or excellent.

I thought yours excellent.

p.

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2008 at 2:01pm by prosaic »  

IP Logged

Vicki
Topic Starter Topic Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

PhotoShop alterations
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for your comments, Joseph.  I heartily agree with you.  I did those alterations several years ago, and as I look back at them, I cringe. 

I was attempting to achieve (without hours and hours of work) a simplification of color that would approximate the minimalist feel of a woodcut.  How lazy of me...I should know better!

Your suggestions are excellent, and will direct me to a more controlled method of composing my photos.  Thanks for taking the time out to comment, and I will let you know when I have posted something worthwhile.

V.

IP Logged

josephfinkleman

Re: Altered Photos of FloridaThe problem with Phot
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The problem with Photo Shop alterations is that they always look like Photo Shop alterations.  For me that is a negative.  (Not to make a pun) If you are going to alter the photos use pencils or pastels or paint, then it has a more unique look to it.  But on the other hand some of the photos are strong enough without any change.  The boardwalk could have been really strong.  But, think of the thing in front of you as 2-dimensional, just colors and shapes and lines and shadows, how might you arrange them in an interesting pattern?  What it is, is irrelevant, what you do, is relevant.  The chicks shadows could even be stronger if you isolated the shadow on the boardwalk.  It was my personal favorite.  I have a suggestion in getting better at only photographing what has the power in the picture.  One way to do that is to literally take a hundred photos of one type of thing.  Somewhere in the process you will get to the essence of what that thing is to you.  Secondly, take a roll of film a week without fail for a year.  The discipline is intense as you will quickly exhaust all of the BS that we think about and you will go to a deeper level.  And thirdly the other idea that I have is to take photos of things that look like something else.  In other words, do not reproduce what it is, but instead illustrate what it is not.  Joe

IP Logged

Claw
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 13th, 2004 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Ahhh, nice to see some of your work back, Vicki! I remember seed pods. Did Norm ever accompany that one?

The alterations seem to work best with the purely natural subjects. I particularly like...well, seedpods if you remember, but also the begonia palms and the river of grass. I can seem them on a wall with a nice natural coloured matt (I'm seeing a green similar to the green in the begonias) and simple reddish-brown wooden frame. I personally like square crops for a lot of images, and I see that here.

The seed pods also needs printing and framing. It almost has a ceramic look to it. Have you done or considered doing ceramic tiling, as this would look lovely as a glazed tile feature piece incorporated into a bathroom or kitchen?

I've also been looking at and enjoying the other photography (and seeing and remembering Biltmore reflections) from the main page.

Claw
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2004 at 1:17pm by claw »  

IP Logged

Vicki
Topic Starter Topic Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Altered Photos of Florida
May 11th, 2004 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Here are some altered photos (PhotoShop) I worked on two years ago and I'm re-posting them here for your viewing and commenting.

Vicki

http://www.webpollack.com/creatively/photography/alteredimages.html
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004 at 3:02pm by Vicki »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint