Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chamfer part 2 (Read 241 times)
Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: Chamfer part 2
Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
fair 'nuf  ~smile~ 

My suggestions are use-or-lose propositions -- they've been tossed out og the Garden before... to dwell alone East of Nod LOL

Norm

IP Logged

Tim
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Norm, 

Fair enough. While I have come across the usage of the Mark of Cain as a reason for slavery, a more recurring one was the Curse of Ham. I didn't know that Noah's curse was ascribed to the darker skin color, justifying slavery.  Both make sense. I just wanted to stay true to the larger amount of accounts. 

blah-blah-blah.

Thank you sir.

Namaste,
~Tim

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Tim,

Yup.
"to create a world that mimics ours without pointing a direct finger"
I DO get that point.

It's just that the mark of Cain is iconic (maybe to such a degree that it has become trite in literature). A fictitious religion is not much of a cover, IMO because it will be so apparent to the reader the theme is an extended metaphor of a "real" faith embedded in humankind's history (for better or worse).

But you did reference it without knowing methinks: " Chamfer stops and nods. So...I'll tip-toe out of the garden, head east and just give you the nod on the way out  ~smile~ .

Norm
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2015 at 1:02am by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Norm,

Thanks for coming back again.

Ah, the mark of Cain is interesting, but I intend to use the Curse of Ham (or rather the misinterpretation of the Curse of Ham) instead. The thing about taking a half a step away from the real world is that I can transcribe reality into fiction, using a fictitious religion, to create a world that mimics ours without pointing a direct finger--and I can conflate portions of reality as well.  Not exactly a roman a clef, yet I think you get the point.

Namaste,
~Tim
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2015 at 4:16pm by Tim »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Just a thought (since nas mentioned the scar)... would you toy with the idea/metaphor of Cain's scar (maybe just a hint?).  I know it is a different "garden" but knowing what kind of messaging you have and will be doing in this piece, maybe you could drop in some sort of subtle reference like that -- if you're ABLE (tee-hee)?

--- probably just a "norm" thing to do?
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2015 at 12:53am by Normpo »  

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Thinking about the scars/flashback.  I might suggest just mentioning him touching the scars but don't explain why yet.  Set up the curiosity to entice the reader to continue and find out where the scars come from,

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2015 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Hey Nas,

Thanks for coming back. 

The idea of a child being left alone or brought to the fields is (in research in the U.S. and Latin America) varied on any given circumstance. Growing up in my time, such a child would have been called latchkey. Growing up then, the answer largely depended on the master's whim.

In story, some of these questions will be answered shortly in the next sections. 

Regarding a flashback with Garcia and Chamfer, that request was made by a couple of students (out of 22), thus I don't know what to think about that. 
The "why today" question is because Chamfer is being tested for magic. This allows me to depict an unusual day while reminding the reader that other things normally occur. I'm pondering starting this story the day before Chamfer gets tested for magic. Thus one day in the life can be shown, with the excitement leading up to the big day, and how the plantation in its various ways expects and reacts to the holy day.

That is something I will keep in mind in the redraft.

Thanks again.

Namaste,
~Tim

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Hi Tim

Funnily enough Norm picked the paragraph that I didn't get first read.  The shift from the scars on Chamfer's back to theft being common, for me was too much of a jump.  Does the reader need all that back information?  Maybe show instead his memory of Garcia whipping him for stealing food because he was hungry.

I do agree with Norm that you have a skill of saying much with few words and I love the description of the sky.

I was left with questions in my head.  Why was Chamfer left alone to get ready on this special day?  Would he have been able to sleep on when his guardians had got up, gone to work?  Would he have been allowed to stay or would he have been dragged to the fields as well?  Did he have that much freedom to be left to his own devices and be responsible enough to follow what he's been told to do without being constntly prompted, thinking back to when my own kids were that age.  I know a different time and place, just expressing thoughts going through my mind.

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:09am
Print Post  
nas, that's good to know about length. dialogue starts after this passage, and I didn't want to get that going and stop it suddenly. Most of the background "balls" are in the air, now it's time to keep returning to them for development. 

Norm, yes "oven." not sure what's happened in the earlier editing process. Like season instead of seasons.
The violence of Jalla's past is partially an attempt to keep the normality of the slave world in the background of a very, rare and peaceful day like the solstice ceremony. 

I'll note the "Aunts" suggestion. It's less awkward than what I have.

Thank you both very much.

namaste,
~Tim

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2015 at 1:21am
Print Post  
A few notes ---

The following is a wonderful paragraph -- tightly knit --- and we can vision history and experience (as background) in so few descriptive words. I was always a fan of how you are able to do ths:
"A breeze, now warm, passes. Clouds lash and scar the red sky. Chamfer slows, fingering his own crisscross of scars on his lower back. Theft is common in Caridad, especially over the last two rain season when it’s been hard to grow food in private plots. Weak harvests for the marse and the workers. And overseer García, whose constant squint exaggerates a thick unibrow, is very accurate with a whip."

Maybe nit-picking here: "that Aunt Espy and Aunt Amalia share" might work better as "Aunts Espy and Amalia" ??

"in the brick over"    oven??

"Jalla used to boil sugar on a different island before the workers in many of the plantations rose up and started to slaughter their owners. Jalla left when the army came to his plantation. No one--neither workers, nor owners--trusted the king’s army. Jalla came to Caridad last harvest. "  This grabs the reader --- the mention of violence almost comes out of nowhere --- very effective IMO.

Norm

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2015 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
It's not at all too long.  In fact, any shorter and it would break up the story too much.  It would end just as the reader is getting into it.

Too tired now to give a proper reply, I'll come back to it in the morning.

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #1 - May 27th, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Dearest Readers, 

if a part is too much, please let me know. I will post less next time. I don't want to create too much work for you in one sitting. I'm off, be back later tonight.

Namaste,
~Tim

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Chamfer part 2
May 27th, 2015 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
     Even lying down, Chamfer is light-headed from the fast that started yesterday. His stomach rumbles as loud as Alexa’s purring in his ear. His hands are jittery. He will have to breathe slowly and carefully, the way the padre taught him last week, to calm the panic of hunger that starts in the stomach but quickly works up the spine to the head. Chamfer exhales and swings out of bed. Marco, Mattea and Maximilian, Alexa’s sibling named after the saints, start to meow and circle the earthen floor. Chamfer finds the broom and clears the straw from the hut, working around the other bed that Aunt Espy and Aunt Amalia share, and the trunk underneath it that holds some of his Rosetta’s possessions.  
     Normally, Aunt Espy would leave stew and rice and plantain simmering in an iron kettle next to the central brick oven for the commons. Instead, once Chamfer finishes sweeping, cats meowing and swishing in his wake, he recites a loud prayer of penance to distract his stomach and saws a few trimmings of dried pigeon hanging over the fireplace to throw to the cats. Then, over the well bucket that Aunt Espy leaves for him every day, he dunks his head, bubbles sealing up his ears.  He holds his breath. The pulse in his temples soothing, calming. 
     He lifts his head, and washing his hands, says, “Mascul, as I cleanse my body of yesterday’s dirt and sugarcane, in Your Holy Fire, cleanse my soul of its impurities, so that I may see You and my ancestors, and walk with You toward your ever-sunlit garden. Amen.”
     A breeze, now warm, passes. Clouds lash and scar the red sky. Chamfer slows, fingering his own crisscross of scars on his lower back. Theft is common in Caridad, especially over the last two rain season when it’s been hard to grow food in private plots. Weak harvests for the marse and the workers. And overseer García, whose constant squint exaggerates a thick unibrow, is very accurate with a whip.
     Chamfer dresses in a white linen suit Aunt Espy made for him for today. He pours some of the bucket water in a bowl for the cats, and throws the rest out. Next to the door, an altar of picture weaving, wooden icons, bones and beaded leather hang over incense and candles almost burnt down. He kisses a small hand weaving that depicts his mother’s face which is staring off past the weaving’s corner, as if in holy contemplation. Aunt Espy made this from painted bamboo beads the day after Rosetta was found.
     Chamfer steps onto the tiled courtyard of Asunción. Alex snatches her piece of pigeon and follows. Chamfer waves at a couple of viejas, who are preparing a vat of pigeon pea stew in the brick over for after the ceremony. His stomach tightens, almost cramps. Chamfer repeats the absolution, pantomiming the hand washing. A few people sit outside the thatched huts, some mending clothes or fixing tools, enjoying the day off from the fields. Others, elders whose cane juice dried out harvests ago, play chess with pieces made of carved animal bones and toothlessly laugh. Outside a larger hut built for migrant workers, Chamfer sees Jalla lugging in a traveling case and duffle bag. Jalla is a tall, slender man whose dusky-colored arms have burn scars that resemble a thin layer of bagaze, cane pulp after the mill. Jalla used to boil sugar on a different island before the workers in many of the plantations rose up and started to slaughter their owners. Jalla left when the army came to his plantation. No one--neither workers, nor owners--trusted the king’s army. Jalla came to Caridad last harvest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint