Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "The Arrival" or "Abstract Work 748HZ.b21" (Read 148 times)
prosaic
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Re: "The Arrival" or "Abstract Work 748HZ.b21"
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
DianeEsk wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:56pm:
Hi Prosaic,

This is indeed very abstract and I do like the image. It is one of those gallery shots where you could stand in front of it for some time studying. I think what comes to mind are digital bits and pieces flying about, as if seeing into the workings of a computer perhaps, or digital telephone lines. But the watery reflection part doesnt quite work with that theory. Nice work.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I appreciate your digital perspective. I like the way you mention that water does not quite fit-in and one has to stand and look - some of the reasons I like abstract art: nowt is set in stone; all is for one to ponder.

Appreciated.

o.

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Hi Prosaic,

This is indeed very abstract and I do like the image. It is one of those gallery shots where you could stand in front of it for some time studying. I think what comes to mind are digital bits and pieces flying about, as if seeing into the workings of a computer perhaps, or digital telephone lines. But the watery reflection part doesnt quite work with that theory. Nice work.

Diane

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:58am
Print Post  
nas wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:46am:
An illustrious ex-pupil.  There's a new Paddington book out to celebrate 50 years since the first one was published.   

I don't expect the library in Dr Who bore any resemblance to the one I work in. Shame, I wouldn't mind going in to work one day and finding a Tardis waiting for me.  A bit of time travel might be fun.

Yes, illustrious - we had a few - Mike Oldfield (Tube Dings) is another.

LOL re: Who - actually it was filmed in a lovely Abertifi (Swansea) library which had just been closed. the architecture was fab - too late for BBC iplayer but will be on the Who site, I guess.

Must go - tempus fugit!

(To others: "Tardis" is the Doctor's time machine in Dr Who - (World's longest-running sci-fi series just about - think Trek is close). Time And relative Dimensions In Space - TARDIS).

p.

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:46am
Print Post  
An illustrious ex-pupil.  There's a new Paddington book out to celebrate 50 years since the first one was published.   

I don't expect the library in Dr Who bore any resemblance to the one I work in. Shame, I wouldn't mind going in to work one day and finding a Tardis waiting for me.  A bit of time travel might be fun.

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:26am
Print Post  
nas wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:16am:
I much preferred when "snickers" were called "marathon"

could also be a bear from Darkest Peru hunting for marmalade sandwiches

or a gorilla trying to fish for a salmon but teasing them with a red matador cape.

I think I'll go back to the story I'm trying to write for my writing group - setting is supposed to be a library.

LOL... the arrival of a busman's holiday?

Apropos the bear from Peru - close to me as it is written / created by an ex-pupil from the place I taught at for many years. Lots of copies in your library, I hope!

Dr Who, a couple of weeks ago was set in a library - fantastic story.

p.

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I much preferred when "snickers" were called "marathon"

could also be a bear from Darkest Peru hunting for marmalade sandwiches

or a gorilla trying to fish for a salmon but teasing them with a red matador cape.

I think I'll go back to the story I'm trying to write for my writing group - setting is supposed to be a library.

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:42am
Print Post  
nas wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 5:30am:
Hi P

I did find the title quite leading towards aliens because like the work itself it is open to interpretation.  I don't think the addition you have made changes that.

It's quite interesting what your mind can create by looking at pattern for a while. I got a mixture of things rather than one figure - a bear's or gorilla's left arm and a man in a cloak, right arm in front of his body like a matador.

Hi Nas,

But "The Arrival" might be a gorilla arriving to scoff his Great Aunt's scones. Else a man entering a bull ring; a bear stepping into a salmon river... 

or even a man from Mars, trying to sell chocolate bars to people who hate their confectionery having darn silly names, such as "Snickers."

...great ideas (yours, not mine!).

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Hi P

I did find the title quite leading towards aliens because like the work itself it is open to interpretation.  I don't think the addition you have made changes that.

It's quite interesting what your mind can create by looking at pattern for a while. I got a mixture of things rather than one figure - a bear's or gorilla's left arm and a man in a cloak, right arm in front of his body like a matador.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 5:37am by nas »  

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

Re: The Arrival
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
nas wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:15pm:
Hi P

This is like a swirling shower of light falling into water.  Your title hints at alien visitation though I didn't personally get that from the picture. 

It is quite subtle but perhaps not giving me enough of a visual impact even so, I do like it as it is.

It is one you need to look at for a while - like staring at clouds or patterns in lino to make out figures and shapes.

Hi Nas,

Thanks for viewing and critting / commentating - appreciated.

The title was meant to be neutral of cultural values - simply "The Arrival" - leaving one free to choose whichever type one wished or, indeed, to reject the title and formulate one's own perspectives. Perhaps something in the image hinted at a certain interpretation but one which you rejected? I suppose I should call abstract works by more abstract titles but I respond to them by putting a little of my interpretation there - self-indulgence I'm afraid. To atone, I shall place an alternative title at the top in a minute.

I suppose I chose the title because of what the image suggested to me but I try not to be prescriptive with my interpretations - especially with abstract works - the reader's / viewer's interpretation is all; my views do not matter at all (save to me!).

You are right about the "low" visual impact; it is nebulous. I'm delighted you liked it, despite that. Your final paragraph is further delight to me - I really appreciate that.

Thanks!

p.

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: The Arrival
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi P

This is like a swirling shower of light falling into water.  Your title hints at alien visitation though I didn't personally get that from the picture. 

It is quite subtle but perhaps not giving me enough of a visual impact even so, I do like it as it is.

It is one you need to look at for a while - like staring at clouds or patterns in lino to make out figures and shapes.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:17pm by nas »  

IP Logged

prosaic
Gold Star Member

I Love Cafe Poetica!

"The Arrival" or "Abstract Work 748HZ.b21"
Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:39pm
Print Post  

"The Arrival" or "Abstract Work 748HZ.b21"

(20% Resolution with copyright-mark  in centre -
that faint word through the centre simply says "Kapulco" and is not part of the final image.)

(C) Kapulco 2008
www.kapulco.com

Crits / Comments welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:14pm by prosaic »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint